Original Song (Boriss Karloff) -- Need help with mix

I think you have a pretty cool lo-fi sound.

There are lots of things I could point out as not being "correct" - but I think it all contributes to the feel in the mix (a "feel" that I kind of like). I don't think I'd change much. Maybe cut a bit of the low end in the bass and then nudge it up. Just see how it sounds.

I think you have a pretty cool lo-fi sound.

There are lots of things I could point out as not being "correct" - but I think it all contributes to the feel in the mix (a "feel" that I kind of like). I don't think I'd change much. Maybe cut a bit of the low end in the bass and then nudge it up. Just see how it sounds.

thanks triplem i appreciate the thoughtful feedback. if you want to tell me what's not correct that's okay. i like to learn. i also mix in headphones so it's hard to know how things translate on a real system, so it's always good to hear from people who have good mixing speakers.

thanks triplem i appreciate the thoughtful feedback. if you want to tell me what's not correct that's okay. i like to learn. i also mix in headphones so it's hard to know how things translate on a real system, so it's always good to hear from people who have good mixing speakers.

The vocals are pitchy, there isn't a lot of low end, there isn't a lot of high end, etc. But again - I would keep the mix as it is because I like how it sounds.

nice. one of my favorites yet. What are you doing with that lead guitar tone for the solos? That's effiin' great. How are you getting that sound???

I'd just bring some low end into it. Work on your bass settings and bass patterns. And the vocal pitch is no problem for your style, as I've said before. That's part of the authentic feel. I'd just make them more up front a bit... there's a lot of "room" sound in them, to me.

This is screaming Weezer, to my ears. They're a good example that you can use production but still not compromise that live/garage/authentic vibe. I hear potential with each of your tunes.

nice. one of my favorites yet. What are you doing with that lead guitar tone for the solos? That's effiin' great. How are you getting that sound???

I'd just bring some low end into it. Work on your bass settings and bass patterns. And the vocal pitch is no problem for your style, as I've said before. That's part of the authentic feel. I'd just make them more up front a bit... there's a lot of "room" sound in them, to me.

This is screaming Weezer, to my ears. They're a good example that you can use production but still not compromise that live/garage/authentic vibe. I hear potential with each of your tunes.

that's awesome to read, thanks andru. i really like the first two weezer records, but i never think of them as a big influence. i was just trying to have some fun.

about the guitar solo, it's the poulin guitar sim and a fender deluxe cab loaded into that. then some eq settings (reduction at 2k, 4k and 6k to get rid of some brittle sounds) and a very very mild compression and a fairly heavy reverb. i think some of it is the guitar pickups, too. on the strat i think i used the 2nd position, which i think combines position 1 and 3 but out of phase.

i bought an amp today so i might use a real amp or a mix of real amp + sims. i'm nervous the real amp might not sound very good since my room stinks. :(

Back