order of chain? usb midi controller & usb mixer

Dastardly

Hi,

Thanks for reading. Im new to building my home studio and putting together my gear. I'm using windows 7, Reaper DAW, EZ Drummer 2..........

And i got a Behringer UMA25s Midi Controller/Audio Interface (usb) and a Peavey PV6USB mixer. I was planning on connecting the UMA25 to the pc and running a mixer off of that, which is how the manual says to do it. But when i got my mixer it is also USB.

Do i even need to use the mixers usb? or would i be better off not chaining the 2 and using seperate USB inputs?

I wasnt planning on the mixer having a usb out. I needed it to hook to the midi so id have mic & guitar inputs to my pc. ---oh yeah ...I also have a Line 6 guitar port i thought id need but probably wont...also usb of course.

The UMA25s i bought basically to control EZdrummer 2, but im sure ill eventually use it for other things including controlling the faders and transport in my DAW (hopefully).

Its just alot all at once and I work long hours. Im a bit overwhelmed and would appreciate a head start on figuring the most efficient setup.

Thanks in advance.

From what I can tell, the Behringer's USB also send sounds out to the computer the Peavey as well. You will have conflicts when recording as you are not likely to be able to record the sounds from the Behringer and the Peavey at once. When you want to record from the Behringer, you will need to select it in Reaper and record (dust analog, the MIDI/Controller part is different). When you want to record with the Peavey, you will need to select it and record.

As far as I know, only one sound device can be selected in a DAW (not talking about ADAT and other schemas through the interface which is not important to you at this time, just clarification) for recording analog signals. SO when using as the Berhinger as a MIDI device, both products should work fine. Just understand that when recording the analog signal from each one, you will have to switch it in the Reaper's preferences.

I hope this wasn't confusing and if it was, then hopefully someone else can explain better.

The Peavey will be your audio input device, the Behr will be your MIDI device (I don't think it does A-D audio conversion form its line inputs). Note that the Peavey is probably only 16 bit and gives you a stereo USB signal (if recording 2 inputs at once, pan one left and the other right, then select the inputs individually in your armed Reaper tracks to get two mono tracks) and will suffer from a high pitched noise if the USB volume is turned up (not sure if there is a separate control for that on the Peavey).

It's too bad you didn't read this thread about mixers and homerecording before buying the Peavey.

The Peavey will be your audio input device, the Behr will be your MIDI device (I don't think it does A-D audio conversion form its line inputs). Note that the Peavey is probably only 16 bit and gives you a stereo USB signal (if recording 2 inputs at once, pan one left and the other right, then select the inputs individually in your armed Reaper tracks to get two mono tracks) and will suffer from a high pitched noise if the USB volume is turned up (not sure if there is a separate control for that on the Peavey).

It's too bad you didn't read this thread about mixers and homerecording before buying the Peavey.

According to Behringer's website:

"Built-in USB audio interface to connect your instruments and mixer to your computer for recording and playback"

It does do audio.

Im a bit overwhelmed and would appreciate a head start on figuring the most efficient setup.

Get rid of the mixer and replace it with a proper audio interface with the number of inputs you require. Don't bother with the audio inputs on the controller, just use it for MIDI.

According to Behringer's website:

"Built-in USB audio interface to connect your instruments and mixer to your computer for recording and playback"

It does do audio.

I guess that would explain WHY it has inputs, but they are only 1/4" RCAs, or a 1/8" TRS "mic" input. I guess the OP could plug the Peavey outputs into the keyboard's 1/4" RCAs. The keyboard only does 16 bit A-D too.

I guess that would explain WHY it has inputs, but they are only 1/4" RCAs, or a 1/8" TRS "mic" input. I guess the OP could plug the Peavey outputs into the keyboard's 1/4" RCAs. The keyboard only does 16 bit A-D too.

I only stated that because I am sure the OP is expecting to use the Behringer with the sound straight out to the DAW.

If he wanted to use both, I would go the route like Boulder stated, Keyboard Analog to Peavey inputs, Peavey USB to computer.

I only stated that because I am sure the OP is expecting to use the Behringer with the sound straight out to the DAW.

If he wanted to use both, I would go the route like Boulder stated, Keyboard Analog to Peavey inputs, Peavey USB to computer.

----ok thanks, this is the answer to my general question i think,,,

BUT, would all the features of the midi controller be active if just connected thru rca jacks to the mixer and bypassing its (midi controller)usb altogether??

BTW i didnt buy the peavey. I had a behringer mixer that i let somebody borrow since i wasnt gigging anymore, and when i asked for it back, apparently it broke and this is what they gave me. Its the usb on the mixer that has me confused i think.

Thanks to all for responding

And yes, the midi controller will be used for controlling vst instruments and my ezdrummer inside my daw

It's a MIDI keyboard controller, does it even have built-in audio/sounds?

That's what I thought, so you can do it two ways:

1) USB keyboard to computer as MIDI only device; USB Peavey to computer as audio device

2) Peavey audio out to audio in on keyboard, USB Keyboard to computer as both MIDI and audio device.

That's what I thought, so you can do it two ways:

1) USB keyboard to computer as MIDI only device; USB Peavey to computer as audio device

2) Peavey audio out to audio in on keyboard, USB Keyboard to computer as both MIDI and audio device.

Thank you MJB

Because i had another thing to factor in....there is no mute on the midi controller. So from the review i watched the experienced user had to turn off the monitors manually to avoid a sound loop. He wasnt using a mixer. He would have rated it a 10 if it had that simple feature. I may be explaining badly, but i assume you understand.

So if that was the case it would be ideal to be able to cut the tape in to mix thru the peavey to mute the keyboard thru the monitors.

But except for finishing touches i will prob use the midi controller for backing tracks which would be first anyway.

Im explaining badly, having coffee on the way to work....But you guys are a great help with me wrapping my head around this. I have a habit of making things more difficult than they have to be. lol

Back