Opinions on mixing rock/pop

Seidy

Hi, I would appreciate some feedback on this rock/pop track I've been recording and mixing. The lyrics are in estonian, so I bet you don't understand a word, but I hope you don't mind. :drunk:

recorded using:
Focusrite Saffire 56
BSS AR133
Sennheiser e902
Sennheiser e604
SM57 x2
AKG Perception 200
AKG C1000s
Schoeps CMC-64 x2
SE Electronics 2200a

Download link:

Distorted guitars sound pretty decent.

I think the bass level is a little too loud. It also needs to be compressed harder or played smoother. The bass/amp is also rattling quite a bit. It's less noticeable once the other instruments are playing.

I think you could also compress the vocal harder. I can barely hear the backing vocals when they come in shortly after the 4 minute mark.

I think the guitars are crowding out the vocal - they're fighting each other.

The highhat is much louder than the snare, which is kind of opposite of how it usually is. I'd rather hear a snare than a highhat.

Distorted guitars sound pretty decent.

I think the bass level is a little too loud. It also needs to be compressed harder or played smoother. The bass/amp is also rattling quite a bit. It's less noticeable once the other instruments are playing.

I think you could also compress the vocal harder. I can barely hear the backing vocals when they come in shortly after the 4 minute mark.

I think the guitars are crowding out the vocal - they're fighting each other.

The highhat is much louder than the snare, which is kind of opposite of how it usually is. I'd rather hear a snare than a highhat.
I know that bass guitar is rattling, but we had no time to overdub the bassparts. Fix that with next song :)
The backing vocals are so quiet on purpose. Without any backing vocals it seemed too empty and after a short try this mumbling was way to go. If the band loves it, why not? ;)
Thanks!

I can't access your link :(

..so all I can say right now is kudos for writing lyrics in your first language. It seems like everyone all over europe (except maybe France and Spain) feel this urge to write in English because that's what most of the popular music is in. I used to write songs in english too, almost on auto-pilot, but will definately write all of my songs in norwegian from now on. I mean, hell, isn't it kind of absurd to all you english-speaking people to hear people trying desperately to sound like you?

Would be great if you could update the download link Seidy; I would love to hear it.

Back