ONE ROOM STUDIO???

raindrops

hi i was thinking about started up a LITTLE tiny studio in my (parents) house, trouble is i have only one room sized 10'6 x 11'6 (320cm x 350cm), i am aiming to record guitar and drums live, i will soon use the room to jam with my band. people have said though that i'm going to need two rooms minimum, i realise that with one i'm not going to be able to monitor the sound cause the guitar amps and drums will be so loud. can i not just record clean or with a little guessed EQ, i can get my levels on the meters. I'm using a computer based setup with 10 track soundcard. the room is also made of like plasterboard painted, and i don't think my parents would be too happy me covering it in egg crates/carpet/rugs or whatever.
i would have thought that even if the band were next door then they would be so loud that i'd be able to hear them over my monitors anyway?

by the way i'm not looking at trying to be a big or even small commercial studio, just recording some skint bands and seeing where that takes me, after all , all big things start small. i am 16 and so do not have unlimited money

any help/suggestions would be appriciated
ta

To save a bit of time go and check my site: click the little red house below....then get back to us.
cheers
john

hi, i checked your site, it looks very informative, the room is already small enough without walls at 12 degrees, and as i said i can't be putting up stuff on the walls.

i was asking whether it would be feasible to record a live band reasonably good sounding entirely in one room without acoustical stuff all over it. i would obviously like to be able to have a kick ass studio but not for the time being.

i have a demo you cxan listen to of what i have done already but then again that was all direct, guitar direct through FX and everything else from synth. so i guess that doesn't really show much! i'm sure it shows something maybe?? (http://www.mp3.com/nicksellen)

ill be micing a couple of guit amps (two 50watt laneys probably, or similar)+ bass maybe, + bout 3 on drums and a couple of vocal mics, and maybe a couple more for good measure.

im just worried that as soon as i get everything at a decent volume it'll all echo and reverb over the top al over the place.
chjeers

Raindrops I suspect all those bodies and gear in the room will cut down a lot of the reverb in the room and if you close mike everything it should be cool. :)
cheers
john

Back