Old school rocker ready to tear it up (again)

Hey there, I'm a Kiwi whom recently got back in to playing bass guitar after a 15+ year holiday (became disillusioned with rock music c/o self absorbed lyrics ("the world doesn't understand me, the world sucks" type music, that never seemed to offer a solution to their woes) and heavily overproduced sonics.
I ended out DJing in clubs, playing chggy tech house, having a blast. Eventually my sets begun to include undeniable rock & funk from early 70s, and morphed in to a mixed bag of styles, that saw me play festivals and underground bars where punters were discerning and up for hearing anything that truly grooved.
I'm heavily drawn to the late 60s early 70s heavy, swinging bluesy wall-of-sound type rock (Sabbath, Budgie, Atomic Rooster etc) and funk from the same era.
To my ears, 1971 was a zenith that saw funk get heavy, and rock get funky.

In early 2000s I formed a band called The Defendants, and had so much fun as the front man/singer. We played heavy rock that swung like a pendulum, and enjoyed success that earned us a reputation as an undeniable live act.
Self described 'rambunctious rogues in full blues-fuelled fury' we tore it up at all opportunities.
We recorded an album called 'Guilty' which was a very proud moment. The album can be downloaded for free at The Defendants - Guilty
Please download, listen and enjoy.

Fast forward to today, and I'm building a simple recording setup whereby I hope to produce some heavy stoner rock type music.

Great to be on board, and I will be taking advantage of the wealth of information and experience that exists on this site

Cheers! 🍻

If you are
Hey there, I'm a Kiwi whom recently got back in to playing bass guitar after a 15+ year holiday (became disillusioned with rock music c/o self absorbed lyrics ("the world doesn't understand me, the world sucks" type music, that never seemed to offer a solution to their woes) and heavily overproduced sonics.
I ended out DJing in clubs, playing chggy tech house, having a blast. Eventually my sets begun to include undeniable rock & funk from early 70s, and morphed in to a mixed bag of styles, that saw me play festivals and underground bars where punters were discerning and up for hearing anything that truly grooved.
I'm heavily drawn to the late 60s early 70s heavy, swinging bluesy wall-of-sound type rock (Sabbath, Budgie, Atomic Rooster etc) and funk from the same era.
To my ears, 1971 was a zenith that saw funk get heavy, and rock get funky.

In early 2000s I formed a band called The Defendants, and had so much fun as the front man/singer. We played heavy rock that swung like a pendulum, and enjoyed success that earned us a reputation as an undeniable live act.
Self described 'rambunctious rogues in full blues-fuelled fury' we tore it up at all opportunities.
We recorded an album called 'Guilty' which was a very proud moment. The album can be downloaded for free at The Defendants - Guilty
Please download, listen and enjoy.

Fast forward to today, and I'm building a simple recording setup whereby I hope to produce some heavy stoner rock type music.

Great to be on board, and I will be taking advantage of the wealth of information and experience that exists on this site

Cheers! 🍻
If you are into funk rock then this is a good one xx

Welcome GD. I gave a quick listen to the Defendants... very tight man, but you're going in a different direction now, right? Will be looking forward to your posts.

If you are

If you are into funk rock then this is a good one xx

Played this many times in a band. We mixed rock and funk in the 80's and also rap. We were way ahead of our time. I was a rock funk player a cross between Eddie Van Halen and Nile Rodgers. The bass player could slap fab and played like flea, the drummer played like John Bohnam the singer was a mad guy who could rap and scream like Rage against the machine. We were a crazy mix and just came too early in 1985, nobody was ready

Welcome GD. I gave a quick listen to the Defendants... very tight man, but you're going in a different direction now, right? Will be looking forward to your posts.
Hey MM, glad you enjoyed the music.
Re: going forward, I'm keen to beat a path that incorporates the heavy groove of The Defendants, with the hypnotic funk stylings of say, Larry Ellis & The Black Hammer, Mandrill, James Brown etc.
How exactly it will work is in front of me.
I look forward to posting anything worthy of discerning ears and curious minds

Re: going forward, I'm keen to beat a path that incorporates the heavy groove of The Defendants, with the hypnotic funk stylings of say, Larry Ellis & The Black Hammer, Mandrill, James Brown etc.

Played this many times in a band. We mixed rock and funk in the 80's and also rap. We were way ahead of our time. I was a rock funk player a cross between Eddie Van Halen and Nile Rodgers. The bass player could slap fab and played like flea, the drummer played like John Bohnam the singer was a mad guy who could rap and scream like Rage against the machine. We were a crazy mix and just came too early in 1985, nobody was ready

To be honest, I feel that the 80s was where a lot of the grit and edge, got too polished c/o the advent of new technologies.
It actually started happening in the late 70s.
That notwithstanding, I always remind myself of two facts re: music:
1. one man's junk is another mans treasure,
2. there is no accounting for taste.

Cheers 🥃

To be honest, I feel that the 80s was where a lot of the grit and edge, got too polished c/o the advent of new technologies.
It actually started happening in the late 70s.
That notwithstanding, I always remind myself of two facts re: music:
1. one man's junk is another mans treasure,
2. there is no accounting for taste.

Cheers 🥃
I agree. Seems to me there was ton of over-produced music in the 80's that was absolutely horrible. i distinctly remember when I started hearing the Black Crows on the radio and thinking, ok, this is more like it.

Back