Oktava MK 012's - what set to get?

paw1

Been thinking of getting a pair of Oktava MK 012's for recording acoustic guitar, as I hear they're great bang for the buck for this type of condenser mics. What confuses me is all the different boxes of them you can get. If you go to thomann.de, this is the selection they have of matched pairs:

-Oktava Mk 012-01 MSP2 (€289)
-Oktava Mk 012-02 MSP4 (€395)
-Oktava MK 012 MSP6 (€469)

They seem to include different kinds of capsules (and accessories). Is this the only difference between the sets? Which capsules do you like the most?

Not sure about which set to get. The cheapest and most expensive boxes are quite far apart in price.

Please help :)

Best regards

-paw

If you purchase the set with all of the bells and whistles it will be awhile before you would need another SDC microphone.
You can find these used all of the time on line for much cheaper. ;)

I've just got the cardioid caps...would love the omni's but never absolutely needed them. You can buy caps separately though so maybe just buy with cardioid and then if you feel you need others buy them later?

I have the cardioid capsules with pads. That is probably the cheapest setup you can get away with. I've gotten by recording other people for 15 years with only that, so you should be fine. As has been said, they sell the capsules separately, so you can get the other ones as you find the need.

I've often thought about getting the full set.
I love my sm81s but the sm80 omni caps are like hen's teeth.

I've pretty much given up so I think I'll get the full set some time soon.

If your environment sucks the omni caps might not be much use to you.
As mentioned, you can always pick them up on down the line, if you decide you need them.

Steen hit it right on the head. I have a matched set with pads and cardioids and they are awesome mics for so many things and especially acoustic guitar!! As I've mentioned in previous posts.........and some will say I'm crazy.......but they also have some excellent qualities as vocal mics too. I later bought the omni capsules and as Steen says.......and quickly realized my less than desirable recording space is highly exposed when using the omnis. So.......save your money for now and leave the omni capsules out of the mix.

TBH I actually never use mine as a matched pair :/ but the cardioid ones have been just fine, I got the Michael Joly ones though :)

Back