OE strings for my new ESP 3/4 scale bass

Pinky

and The Brain...
My previous experience with short scale basses dictates I buy matching gauge strings to retain proper intonation. Problem is - I can't find any useful information about this bass, let alone what size strings the manufacturer uses.

ESP Ltd B4-JR

[fwiw, it plays well and sounds good for the $150 price tag]

Any sting will intonate properly as long as it has uniform mass per unit length and is in the range of it optimum operating tension. I'm not sure why you would have a problem with any decent strings but it is more likely the setup than the string.

Any sting will intonate properly as long as it has uniform mass per unit length and is in the range of it optimum operating tension. I'm not sure why you would have a problem with any decent strings but it is more likely the setup than the string.

That is possible, I'm not convinced the setup on my old Gretsch short scale bass was ever right. If I went with a lighter gauge the 2-5th fretted notes would be flat relative to the open string tuning. I've had this issue on that bass even with the 'right' strings, but it was only a few cents off and I could tune my way around it. The issues with the Gretsch are what prompted getting the Esp bass. I figured sinking $40-50 on getting the 4 year old Gretsch setup was better spent on an instrument that didn't have any indications of intonation problems out of the box.

Maybe I'll spend some time Sunday swapping the spare set of new strings I have and see what happens. Thanks for helping me keep perspective. :)

I've got a couple shortscales with a mix of bass and guitar strings, and the intonation on the bass strings is awful!

I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but intonation on those things is tough to get right.

I've got a couple shortscales with a mix of bass and guitar strings, and the intonation on the bass strings is awful!

I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but intonation on those things is tough to get right.

It seems the new LTD B4-JR is handling the 105 gauge fine, despite the strings that came with it being noticeably lighter/thinner. There's a bit of buzzing but it's just two frets I don't play very much so I'm pretty happy for $150.

Back