odd post on a phone gadget

CoolCat

i just tried the USB MagicJack phone thingy today. It worked really well.....

plug in the USB thing, software automatically loaded up in like 5 minutes, plugged in my old home phone unit (wireless base)... there was a dial tone!

after answering some basic info for 911 and stuff for the phone number etc..etc..

it just seems cool.....$20 YEAR for unlimited long and local phone.
seems just a year or so ago I was porking out $150 month...to att or some home phone company who repeatedly charged me for more things than I can remember...

its only been one day of use, and calling around....but its always great to drop a bill down.

just wonderin if anyone else has used this new techy thing...MagicJack/USB phone...any downfalls, any info I'm curious.

if its for real, its more money for recording gear....less money spent on phone bills... :D

sounds like a Skype phone. A friend has one, she swears by it. How much is the gadget? I know it's $20 a year.

I guess its been 6 or 7 days now. No problems to report.

The thing is selling in Best Buy, and I haven't had any issues.
$39.99 and includes 1 yr. So basically $20 for the dongle and $20 1yr phone service.

Its better than Vonage imo....especially no monthly phone bill!:D:)

A couple notes...the pc has to be on, which I leave mine on anyway so no problem.
But if you turn off your pc, the USB phone is off.
If you unplug the USB the phones off too. obviously:rolleyes:

I was able to pick a local phone area code. and I called 911 and checked to verify the Address appeared to them and it does! really cool. The ladie was nice about helping me out and verifying the address was correct.

So yea, one week....no issues. I don't use home much anyway and have a cell, but for $20 a year...pretty cool.

I still have 20+ days to return it. A lot of bad reviews on the internet, not sure if their all form like 2003 or what? Alot of people had trouble, maybe USB 1 or old pc's? Ok maybe the sound isn't perfect for some? I don't know...

I haven't had any problems, I agree with your friend...a pretty cool new "thing".

cheap...:D

just to update....it was great,,,,,,

but now....................................................MagicJack sucks.

anyway.....don't waste your money or at least read up on the newly "blocked" zip codes.
recent changes have ruined it, imo.

maybe Skype is the way to g0? replace the house phone, 911 stuff, and incoming telemaketers(sarcasm).

google phone?

I kind of want a cheap landline type phone still....

Back