Nylon string guitar piece

K-dub

In stark departure from my more complex rock pieces, this piece goes 180 by its sparse nature. It's basically a single mike on a nylon string guitar.

The project was not w/o my learning something though.

What I learned from this remix was how to take the lead vocal, copy it in Melodyne (used as an effect in a sub bus), move the whole part up a third, and then arrange a harmony of myself singing with myself via moving Melodyne's blobs around.

I'd never done that technique before. I think it resulted in an interesting improvement!

It's a good song. I generally love songs with vocal harmony. My only comment is that the harmony vocal has some of that weird "autotune" texture to it, which I generally don't like. If you could get your friend who did the other song do the harmonies it would be better.

Unfortunately that might not be possible, and I understand that we do what we need to do. I can't think of how many takes I did with some of the CSN songs I've done and they aren't perfect. Harmony can be tough, especially if its out of our normal range.

But, as I said, the song is really good.

It's a good song. I generally love songs with vocal harmony. My only comment is that the harmony vocal has some of that weird "autotune" texture to it, which I generally don't like. If you could get your friend who did the other song do the harmonies it would be better.

Unfortunately that might not be possible, and I understand that we do what we need to do. I can't think of how many takes I did with some of the CSN songs I've done and they aren't perfect. Harmony can be tough, especially if its out of our normal range.

But, as I said, the song is really good.

I agree. Tuning, in general, has an effect of its own. Things become a little "too perfect". This exception to this is when things are "hard tuned" to make the singer bot-like. That is used as an effect, and one I effectively loath. If one can tell it's tuned, then you've not done it right.

Using the technique that I did resulted in a formant perfect copy. Every rise, fall, breath and consonant - all of it - is in perfect sync w/ the main vocal.

... which creates an unnatural sounding result - even if it is unique sounding.

Kelly is an excellent singer, but she also is tech savvy enough to record her own vocal. I'll see if she wants to. I also recently met a person local to me who sings, and might be able to contribute.

I can strip the harmony track out and have them use that as a guide.

Thanks bud!

I can strip the harmony track out and have them use that as a guide.

Thanks bud!
That's the beauty of all this multitrack stuff, isn't it?

I was thinking that the other way you could do it would be to track a second lead vocal to mirror the first, THEN use the Melodyne to create a harmony track that would be more like a different singer.

That's the beauty of all this multitrack stuff, isn't it?

I was thinking that the other way you could do it would be to track a second lead vocal to mirror the first, THEN use the Melodyne to create a harmony track that would be more like a different singer.
That's a neat idea!

I think you did a Very good job building the harmony. I do think they could be slightly backed off. I've found you can "very" slightly use the timing slider to alter the timing of a harmony track without getting a phasing issue. Additional reverb also helps. Nice job on the acoustic as well. Enjoyed it .. mark

I like it. It's got a bit of that feel that siblings have when they do tight harmonies - Everleys, Lucy and Carly Simon, that sort of thing.

I like the song! the guitar sounds warm. Yah definitely use the vocal as a guide and have someone else sing it. It has that melodyne flangy phasey thing that is unpleasant.

Back