ntrack flawed

I don't have any problems with n-track (circa version 3.7)

The idea of one person developing software delivers a far more consistent result than the bugs generated by teams of programmers with different approaches.

Cubase went through all sorts of unusable versions - I used Cubase Lite in 1993/4 and it was really really bad.

The CPU usage in n-track is surprisingly good.

Using the Waves plugins (reverb and multiband compression) with n-track delivers very good results.

Don't underestimate the resources needed for a PC running DAW software - you have to tune Windows to operate successfully with *any* DAW program.

I just tried the latest build - 2163 - it's no good at all. serious latency correction problems - my tracks get all out of sync when I engage plugins. Latency compensation is one of those basic features that MUST work for daw software to be usable - can't believe ntrack is being offered in it's current dysfunctional state.

ntrack un-flawed

At first glance, Build 2171 - posted today - fixes all the remaining latency bugs -as far as I can tell.

Right now it's only available in complete download format - the update still downloads build 2170.

If the latency bugs are indeed fixed, I retract my ntrack flawed allegation.

bdemenil said:
I take it back. There are still latency problems. Will post more when I to the bottom of what's going on.

Not sure why you're still concerned. You moved on to another app, didn't you?

"Bro - I switched to Cubase and haven't looked back. Performs WAY better than ntrack."

I suppose it's helpful you want to spend so much time bug tracking with ntrack, but I'd rather be recording! :cool:

After 7 years with N-track, I just converted to Reaper myself. Sorry, but N just isn't up to par with the other guys out there when it comes to performance and stability. Too bad as I really loved that app.

I am in the midst of the swing to reaper. Very not that hard to change over, but it will take some time.

Again, N-trtack just ain't hacking it for me. It was fine when running up to 20 tracks, but I can't stand getting an error after 4 hours of mixing and having it come crashing down on me.

Simon

I use Reaper a lot and I love it. But I'm sure glad Flavio has been around and I think his product rocks. If you have that much problem after a four hour session, maybe things need to be saved more regularly.

did I see Reaper for free download or is that some other version? I could swear i saw it on majorgeeks.com

Reaper is a free download and $40 after the evaluation period, which as far as I can tell isn't a set amount of time. Not everyone can evaluate an app in 10 days or 30 days or whatever the other guys are doing. It's probably the best $40 you could ever spend on software.

Ben, Bubba and some others probably remember me from the ntrack forum in days gone by. I started out ntracking with version one back in the days when Jeezar and Bill Wall were still on the forum, after early efforts with Cakewalk 4 (back when Cakewalk was still a DOS ap!) through 9, or something like that. I've track with an ADAT now, and do my mixes on samplitude.

I had trouble with n-, from GUI skips to losing wav file drawings to a few other things... I finally got bugged with it (pardon the pun). I went over to Sonar HS4, and then checked out Reaper. Not a single issue at all with that one, and R sounds great.

I still use Sonar HS4, and may upgrade to HS6 (I did pay $100 for it, and the problems I might have with it are superfluous at worst). I find it somehow simpler than Reaper for a few (probably pedestrian) reasons. Sonar is very sensible/"feels good" to me. But I have to give R it's cred- it's a very slick and EZ app to use. The routing is stupid-easy! I'll register it too when I get some scratch, if I keep using it.

Too bad about n-Track. We had hopes together, we did...

I'm happily on cubase now, but still have a lot of older material on track, so am still concerned with having the program work - at least well enough to export tracks.

stodge said:
I insalled NTrack, took one look at it's interface, ran and never went back. I didn't even use it. :D

You might be cheating yourself- what if it behaves on your system? It's cheap, generally a good app. At best, it compares favorably with Reaper, Sonar, any of those. I think it's overcrowded with features and not stable enough across the board, and that that's what causes problems. But hey. Details, details.

Nonetheless, judging a book by it's cover might not be the best approach to picking software. Why don't you try n-Track, so you at least have an experience with it to speak of? I'm sorry it didn't work for me- I moved on to an app that works for me and am now through screwing around with it all. Thank God...

I realize n- does come off looking like a toy.

Back