Novice Solving Issues with backgroud hiss

pouletrecords

HI everyone, im just starting out recording, my setup comprises of a macbook with garageband, a subzero dynamic mic and an XLR to USB cable plugged into my computer. Ive started trying to record some stuff today and there is a horrible background hiss that ruins the sound (ill attach a sample). any advice on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Untitled - 25:03:2021, 20.mp3
    841.6 KB
I only hear hiss at the very end . . . what I do hear in spades is a horribly distorted guitar. So, you're running two mics, recording an acoustic and singing at the same time? The guitar into the dynamic, and voice into the USB mic? You have no interface, is that correct?

I'll cut to the chase here: Get an interface, something designed to send in signals from mics and line signals, as well as give you the ability to monitor what you're doing. Something like the Focusrite 2i2, for instance. There are resources here that can show/explain how to properly mic up an acoustic guitar. That USB mic is really suited for podcasting, and the subzero dynamic appears to be a knock-off of an Shure SM-57, a fine mic, but not necessarily the best choice for an acoustic instrument. There is a huge range of affordable condenser mics to be had out there, so look into that.
As far as the hiss goes, it could be a lot of things, most likely the noise of the mics themselves, or perhaps your recording environment, or maybe the gain settings for the mics in Garageband. Most major DAWs have noise removing tools, but I'd be surprised if Garageband does. I have to deal with noisy environments whilst recording sometimes, and so resort to a de-noiser which comes with Samplitude, my DAW of choice, and it's saved my bacon many times. However, as mentioned, in your case it is likely the mics themselves and the gain settings set for them.

Usb connection using these cables is always a problem as soon as you need more than one, and because they’re aimed at podcasting, they are optimised for dynamic mics close in. most don’t feature the ability to power condensers so this also limits their usability. The most common knob turning in studios is the gain knob on the preamp. With these cables there isnt one, and those that use the computers gain setting usually still hiss or distort. They’re just trouble. He cheapest real interfaces out perform them by miles.

"Measure twice. Cut once" Similarly...Ask a few times, buy once. I dare say cost is an issue but the Behringer UMC 202 HD is just $80 and is very good. My son uses the 204HD which is basically the same interface but with MIDI ports and and two extra outputs. He makes very decent recordings of a nylon strung classical guitar. Yes, with a capacitor mic but from five feet away!

You really cannot make even half decent recordings for less money.

Dave.

Last edited:
"Measure twice. Cut once" Similarly...Ask a few times, buy once. I dare say cost is an issue but the Behringer UMC 202 HD is just $80 and is very good. My son uses the 204HD which is basically the same interface but with MIDI ports and and two extra outputs. He makes very decent recordings of a nylon strung classical guitar. Yes, with a capacitor mic but from five feet away!

You really cannot make even half decent recordings for less money.

Dave.
I picked up the 204HD for my video editing system but have been using it to take room measurements of the studio. One function of REW (Room EQ Wizard software) is calibrating the interface. I was more than a bit curious how the calibration would turn out as everyone beats up on cheap Behringer stuff. This is the response graph of the interface. Impressive for a short money device.
Soundcard-Cal.jpg

Cheap Behringer stuff was all I had at first . . . . I didn't mean to recommend the Focusrite above; it came to mind immediately, but a guy I make music with just bought an Ipad with Garageband, and he did some shopping for an interface, and at first wanted the 2i2, but later settled on the Behringer. His research showed him that though the Behringer is much cheaper, by all accounts it gets the job done with comparable quality in the audio.

Folkcafe, it might sound rather flippant or arrogant but I am not in the least surprised at the very good result of that response sweep of the Behringer interface. We have been able to make electronics with a flat, 20-20k response for decades, what IS gratifying is the lack on that curve of spikes and artifacts.

The "cheap versus high priced" audio devices debate will ever rage and I will concede that IF you have a set of Neumann/PMC monitors at $8k the pair AND avery well treated room AND some wide band IMPECCABLE sound sources you probably CAN tell a 204 from a Prism or Benchmark but in the world 99.99% of HR peeps inhabit, no way. That is NOT to say I agree with Behringer's business practices and I look for alternatives when I can (I don't buy much these days anyway) I am, at the moment quite taken by one of two very cheap interfaces by M-Audio and intend to get one to size up soon.

The 204HD does have its 'faults' however. One is the very low maximum output of, iirc, +4dBu (1.22V). This WILL drive most active monitors adequately but it is wise to check if yours are rather lower in gain than most?

When I bought mine I had the idea that it had two mic/line/instru inputs(it does) and two fixed gain line inputs? It doesn't. It does have inserts for the front inputs. Handy perhaps but two lines in would have suited son better! NOT of course Behringers fault if I don't check the spec properly!

This next will be wasted on most here but "You never had it so good!"

Dave.

Folkcafe, it might sound rather flippant or arrogant but I am not in the least surprised at the very good result of that response sweep of the Behringer interface. We have been able to make electronics with a flat, 20-20k response for decades, what IS gratifying is the lack on that curve of spikes and artifacts.

The "cheap versus high priced" audio devices debate will ever rage and I will concede that IF you have a set of Neumann/PMC monitors at $8k the pair AND avery well treated room AND some wide band IMPECCABLE sound sources you probably CAN tell a 204 from a Prism or Benchmark but in the world 99.99% of HR peeps inhabit, no way. That is NOT to say I agree with Behringer's business practices and I look for alternatives when I can (I don't buy much these days anyway) I am, at the moment quite taken by one of two very cheap interfaces by M-Audio and intend to get one to size up soon.

The 204HD does have its 'faults' however. One is the very low maximum output of, iirc, +4dBu (1.22V). This WILL drive most active monitors adequately but it is wise to check if yours are rather lower in gain than most?

When I bought mine I had the idea that it had two mic/line/instru inputs(it does) and two fixed gain line inputs? It doesn't. It does have inserts for the front inputs. Handy perhaps but two lines in would have suited son better! NOT of course Behringers fault if I don't check the spec properly!

This next will be wasted on most here but "You never had it so good!"

Dave.
This was a purchase for a video editing set up that has modest needs. I mainly purchased this because it has inserts which was harder to find in a 2 input interface. Allows me to keep a Drawmer comp plugged in. I always found it sounded neutral. My point is simply that I was surprised how well it measured when I set it up to do acoustic measurements. Clean hasn't been an issue but I'm also not pushing anything that needs a lot of gain such as the OP of this post.

This was a purchase for a video editing set up that has modest needs. I mainly purchased this because it has inserts which was harder to find in a 2 input interface. Allows me to keep a Drawmer comp plugged in. I always found it sounded neutral. My point is simply that I was surprised how well it measured when I set it up to do acoustic measurements. Clean hasn't been an issue but I'm also not pushing anything that needs a lot of gain such as the OP of this post.
Well, there you go! WE did not need the inserts but YOU did. Can please some of the people.....

Dave.

Hi there.
After you got your interface next step is to clean up the audio. The hiss is removed with Izotope RX. It works miracles for me. Before recording, allow couple seconds of silence, as Izotope requires a sample of hiss-only audio. One it has memorised the hiss, it can then remove it from the track. Good luck

Being frank - if you have a terrible mic to USB device, the simplest thing is get a better one. I have never, ever, had to clean up audio files for his removal before I can use them. What is the point of using compromised kit? Sort the hiss out then start recording. It's like running your car on dirty fuel, and spending time putting in bigger bore carbs so they don't clog up.

Back