not enough ins, outs and thrus????

harold

I've posted this qustion before but i think that i may not have phrased it too well, so i'm going to try again:
my set up:
Yamaha hardware sequencer with on board sounds (RM1x), yamaha loop sampler(SU700), novation super bass station. my problem:
how to link up a midi keyboard to enable me to play and record both the sequencers on board sounds and the synth too without having to unplug anything.i think i need a midi merge box (???), but i still don't get what lead goes where...is this a dumb question? i've phoned a few dealers to ask for help and they've all started by saying "yeh thats really easy, you need a midi merge..." and then they go quiet and say "hang on mate, i need to think about this" and then they go off to ask their mate and to draw pictures of my studio and stuff...is there a straight forward solution to this? go easy on me if there is...thanks

If only there were a straight forward way to do all this...

This may work, though:

midi keyboard out - sequencer in
sequencer out - bass station in
bass station thru - sampler in

if your sequencer doesn't have 'soft thru' on the outputs, the you'll need to buy a midi merge box, and run the wiring this way:

midi keyboard out - sequencer in
sequencer out - midi merge box in #1
sequencer thru - midi merge box in #2
midi merge box out - bass station in
bass station out - sampler in

you won't be able to dump samples or anything from the bass station or the sampler to the sequencer, and you won't be able to use the sounds on the keyboard on playback, but this is about as simple as it's going to get.

Hope this is useful

William Underwood

Back