[SOLVED] Noobie looking for help! How to get somewhat similar setup

chaoshead

...in this video:
YouTube

As you can hear, Cumberbatch's voice is very crisp and clear.

I wonder what mic BBC is using there... a dynamic one, yes? SMB7, perhaps?

How can i, who is also into broadcasting and podcasting, get somewhat near that clear, crisp voice? Naturally, i am on a budget, so i am not expecting to match that quality at all, but are there tweaks i can do to improve my current setup somehow in any ways?

I currently have a Rode Podmic and a Behringer UMC202HD interface. I have a rather quiet room with sound pads in front of me.

Any suggestions and advises? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Definitely not an SM7B. The Shure is not a side address mic. I believe the BBC uses the Neumann U87 as the standard announcer mic these days. Its also used by NPR.

That said, there are lots of mics which will give you a very clear, low noise recording. Several people make "clones" of the U87. There are many radio stations that use the EV RE20 for announcer work. The Neumann TLS102 and 103 are also used for many radio stations. The AT 4033 is also used by some announcers. Your choice might be guided by your voice.

I don't know the Rode Podmic, so I can't comment on how it would compare to the various pro mics.

A major factor in the quality of sound is the quality of voice, and Cumberbatch has a very rich, resonant voice.

A major factor in the quality of sound is the quality of voice, and Cumberbatch has a very rich, resonant voice.

Indeed! 'They' say "quality of source is ~80% of the battle!"

The Rode mic has a sensitivity some 4dB hotter than an SM58 and a good bit hotter than a 7b so, IF the 202HD has the same mic pres that my 204HD had, you should get decently low noise recordings. N.B. You might not get a lot of level. The 'waveform' might look wee and the signal bumbling about sub -20dBfs, that is fine, do not strain for louder or move in too close. On the latter point I see the mic has a bit of a hump around 150Hz? You might need to flatten that a bit post tracking and getting too close will exaggerate the effect.

All that said, 'crisp' is really the domain of the capacitor microphone.

Dave.

Back