NoOb questions about digital 4-tracking

DrJosh

Hello! First post here, thinking about a simple setup for beginning recording, specifically tracking drums.

Seems that you can do just fine with 4 mics (2 OH, kick, snare), but what do I need to get those four tracks into my laptop so I can apply effects individually and to the whole group?

I'm thinking an audio interface such as Presonus Inspire or Firebox, Focusrite Saffire LE, or Echo Audiofire4. Seems like these all have four analog ins: two XLR and two 1/4". I can run the dynamic mics into the 1/4's no?

Run this to a firewire card on my laptop and I'm good to go, using whatever mixing software that comes with the interface...am I on the right track? Do I need anything else?

Thanks in advance; I'm happy to have found this great online resource!

looks like you've got a good Idea of what to do
yes, at a quick glance all of those interfaces look like they would be fine.

yes you "can" go from the XLR to the 1/4, but I would not recommend it (you loose the ground, so it's more likely to pick up noise) and also I didn't read all of the exact specs of those interfaces, but you will probably need phantom power for the overheads, and 1/4" jacks can't give phantom power (so you would need an external phantom power source before turning it into a 1/4" cable)

I could be mistaken on some of these parts, so if I am wrong feel free to correct me.

cheers!

Nick_Black

Thanks for the reply, Nick.

Looks like I have to get an 8 pre interface if I'm going to go all XLR and stick with firewire--seems like massive overkill for my application. Is there a lower profile (I mean smaller/less hardware) alternative...or am I stuck?

Back