Next step: Audio Interface

BroKen_H

Re-member
I don't need a lot of in/out and am looking at around $500 to replace my M-Audio Firewire Solo. I need Midi and want to get rid of the firewire interface. It has one glaring glitch in that between on and off it can shut down. If I'm listening to tracks and stop (not even leaving the program) it quits and has to be re-initialized. Does it to Reason, Music Bee, even Chrome. It's not really a problem, but an annoyance. So I'm trying to decide on something that will up my AD/DA and mike pres. In the running so far:

Scarlet 6i6 ($250) Love focusrite preamps and 6 outs gives me options on my monitors.
Native Instruments KA6 (comes with an AT2020 and headphones for $400)
MOTU Audio Express ($395) Very good reviews. Huge flexibility. Well rated preamps

Some I would like to consider, but have no midi :mad:
Focusrite Forte
Steinberg UR-28M
MOTU 4Pre

Last edited:
I don't need a lot of in/out and am looking at around $500 to replace my M-Audio Firewire Solo. I need Midi and want to get rid of the firewire interface. It has one glaring glitch in that between on and off it can shut down. If I'm listening to tracks and stop (not even leaving the program) it quits and has to be re-initialized. Does it to Reason, Music Bee, even Chrome. It's not really a problem, but an annoyance. So I'm trying to decide on something that will up my AD/DA and mike pres. In the running so far:

Scarlet 6i6 ($250) Love focusrite preamps and 6 outs gives me options on my monitors.
Native Instruments KA6 (comes with an AT2020 and headphones for $400)
MOTU Audio Express ($395) Very good reviews. Huge flexibility. Well rated preamps

Some I would like to consider, but have no midi :mad:
Focusrite Forte
Steinberg UR-28M
MOTU 4Pre

Dave here post PM.
Are you running a desktop PC? If so there is a solution to the MIDI problem. Fit an M-Audio PCI card (if you have a PCI slot) it WILL work as MIDI interface alongside any USB AI you get. Trust me!
I do SO agree that leaving MIDI off those interfaces is crazy! It cannot cost that much if Steinberg can fit it to a VERY good £100 AI (and "we" fit it to fairly modest guitar amps!)

Now, do you NEED 4 mic pres at the moment? I ask because the KA6 has 2 extra line inputs and you could get a "boooteek" pre later when the flexible friend has straightened out a bit. OR! pro tem, a $50ish mixer . Most of them are really pretty good and in any case if it were to be used for guitar cabs, drums etc, does not have to have liquid N2 noise levels or fabulous fidelity?

Do not know much about MOTU kit but it does have a very good rep and I understand their drivers are on a near parr with RME? (as are the NI's!)

Couple of makers you left out..
Audient and Roland.

Dave.

No, like I said, I only use one input at a time anyway. It's only me. I never track me, myself and I, so I don't need a lot of mike preamps. Just looking for one GOOD I've added the UA Apollo Twin to my list--nice preamps, great latency, and main and monitor outs. Sounds like a winner to me (but again, no Midi). Thanks for the tip on the card, and for that matter, I can grab a UNO card for my single keyboard for $40...
I think, though with all that I've read I'll be going with the KA6 because for $200 less I get interface, a decent mike and new headphones (which I need)....AND It looks cool :cool: :rolleyes:
Thanks for the reply, Dave!
BTW Roland is what got me looking, didn't leave it out, just, other than getting SONAR (which I'm familiar with) it didn't fit the bill. To get to multiple outs, you need to go to the studio capture @ $k
Audient 22 looks good, but still over budget.

Last edited:
You know, I'm starting to see that until I jump up to at least the $1,000 level, there's not going to be a lot to be gained from different preamps. So, I'll probably go with the KA6 and get the AT 2020 and headphones. Then save my $$$ until I can get a focusrite liquid maybe.

Back