Newbie here... Oh I have a really stupid question...

havitcold

Hi all, I am the latest newbie to join up. Its a pleasure to meet such knowledgeable people. I am a musician and song writer I have been playing guitar and bass guitar for about 40 years. I spent half my career playing professionally in several bands put my dues in at the clubs and concert venues spent many hours in different recording studios- all original music. I was brought up on analog tape and spent a great deal of time in the wood shed to earn my place and I would love to make new friends please say hi. I am just an old rock n roller.

Here is my dilemma I just purchased an old Tascam 38 R/R the 2- DX-4D N/R units and the Tascam M-30 mixing console. Everything works except my brain. I am really regretting purchasing the M-30. I have 6 reels from the late 80's and early 90's I have been towing around for 37 years.. I have some great original music on those reels and I wanted to bring them back to life and them load them up on Pro Tools 12.8.

SO why cant I get the M-30 mixing console to work properly. I remember I owned a Tascam M-208 back in the day and did not have all this weird patching... I am stuck. I need someone to take an interest and help me through this or just buy a more modern board. I got a tell ya I am hating this M-30. Anyone want to talk about it with me?

thanks

Interface. I'd be thinking eight tape outs direct to eight line in A/D converters to tracks in the DAW.

Thanks for your response I noticed that the tape heads were building up residue on the heads and required cleaning after each play. Insthat what "baking" eliminates?

Thanks for your response I noticed that the tape heads were building up residue on the heads and required cleaning after each play. Is that what "baking" eliminates?
If you'd baked before playing it might have. The idea is to dry out the bit of adhesive (softened from decades of absorbing/releasing humidity) that holds the oxide on. Some kinds of tape were more prone to this problem. Spend some time searching and see if you can try it on some. That "residue" was, unfortunately, a lot of the recorded material you were hoping to save, so stop playing the tapes until you've got everything working and know you're only going to have to run them once to do the capture.

Back