Newbie DAW user

elmerfunk463

Hi I just made the jump to DAW recording. I have been an analog guy for quite some time. I am trying to wrap my ears around this new sound. I am just messing around with basics right now. I'm a live drum guy and I can't get my kick drum to sound good with this new system. I am used to a huge sounding kick, but it sounds so AM radio right now. I understand there's going to be a learning curve, but I am having a hard time. I'm getting good snare, toms and cymbal hats sounds. I am using Pro Tools Studio, a Soundcraft ui24R and M Audio powered monitors. I haven't even touched the plugins yet. I was just trying to get some basic sounds with the board alone. Just a baseline to begin with. Trying to figure out the gain structure on this new set up as well. If anyone has to basic pointers that I can start with I would appreciate the help. Thanks!!

If you were able to get a good kick sound with an analog recorder you should be able to get a good sound with a DAW. All I can suggest is to make sure you're not clipping. I can't help you with your gain settings since I use Reaper.

If you were able to get a good kick sound with an analog recorder you should be able to get a good sound with a DAW. All I can suggest is to make sure you're not clipping. I can't help you with your gain settings since I use Reaper.
Thanks Markmann!! I'm sure it's just gonna take some new approaches. I'm sure it will come together after some more time working in the software.

Back