Newb Software Questions

OTR_Music

Although I consider myself computer savvy, I'm totally out of the loop with today's digital recording technology.

I've been looking at the Behringer UMC204HD which I believe comes with a free download of Tracktion. Also looking at the Steinberg UR22 which supposedly comes with Cubase AI.

Question #1: Can I record 8-12 tracks (1-2 at a time) of vocals, guitar, bass guitar, EQ everything, plus add some basic effects using just Tracktion or Cubase AI?

Question #2: I assume I'd need additional software if I wanted to record some accompanying "virtual" drum tracks, right? If so, any recommendations, suggestions?

Thank you!

Question #1: Can I record 8-12 tracks (1-2 at a time) of vocals, guitar, bass guitar, EQ everything, plus add some basic effects using just Tracktion or Cubase AI?
Yes. You can just keeping adding tracks in your software as you need them. I don't know what the limits are (if any) in Tracktion or Cubase AI.

Question #2: I assume I'd need additional software if I wanted to record some accompanying "virtual" drum tracks, right? If so, any recommendations, suggestions?
If you want virtual drums (or any other virtual instrument, for that matter) you will need to download and install virtual instruments. For drums, there are many options: Battery, EZ Drummer, Steven Sltate Drums and others. These operate within Tracktion or Cubase.

The total number of tracks you can record will depend on the actual software - the versions that come with interfaces are typically 'limited' versions - as they want you to spend some more money to upgrade to the full versions. Take a look at Reaper - you can d/l the full version, and only pay when you want to register it (very reasonable $60).

Depending on what u want to use them for there's a million drum loops out there covering every possible genre imaginable. Alot of free ones too. The more u learn, the more u can cut them up and make them do what u want them to do. It's a good place to start

As far as recommendations, I use and like Addictive Drums. Also, EZ Drummer is a nice way to get started.

Back