NEWB: join different takes into one final take

rodmbds

Hi! I've "learned" (actually lots of trial and error...) how to do this using Audacity and decided to make a video out of it. What I'd like to know is:

1) am I doing it right?
2) is there another way to do it?
3) what did you think of the result?
4) what's the name of it?!?!?

Here's the link to the video (youtube): https://youtu.be/HLvFxDwvAGA

I found it very useful when recording, for example, a guitar track. The intro sounds great but the next part is not so good or you made a mistake, or there's a pop/click there. Instead of recording all over again, simply overdub it and later break the different takes into one.

The thing is: although I kind of "discovered" how to do it, I know this is done for ages. I'd like to know if there's a name for it. Does it go into the "mixing" category or more of a "recording" one?

Thx!

Logic calls it comping, for composite takes I guess. If you decide to upgrade to a DAW it should get a lot easier than in your video. You shouldn't have to suffer that much for your art. ;) Clever solution though.

Nice acoustic guitar playing. As you say, overdubbing is a basic technique. Les Paul was one of the inventors, or so goes the story I've heard. You can record as many takes as you want, then comp together the best bits. I'd be lost without that technique. Don't know about Audacity, but all the full-featured DAWs will let you overdub additional takes right in the same track, saving the old ones, and handling the cross fading automatically. Try Reaper, inexpensive, full-featured, and with a large community of support.

Comping lead guitar parts together works a lot better than rhythm/strummed parts - because its hard to get the strumming to line up well. Solution? Write songs with lots of pauses/breaks!

Back