New Tools

BroKen_H

Re-member
Well, maybe toys...
After much deliberation and looking, I decided on the following purchases:

New Bass.jpg

Schecter Guitar Research Bass. Back of the guitar has a plastic strip that says "Set Up To Play". After a few minutes of playing it, I decided I needed it set up to work. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean it doesn't work, but their idea of play meant matchbook clearance all the way up. Need more height for my heavy-handed playing. :D The strings that shipped on the bass were junk. One string did not even sound like it belonged in the set. D'Addario to the rescue. Had a set of XL Half Rounds (ENR71-5) sitting on the desk and voila! Decent sounding strings. One big plus: The tones are extremely versatile. It does however have a slight problem with the pickup blend knob. It seems to phase deaden when sitting in unity. Just a little to either side of center fixes the problem, but I'm wondering if I should rewire for a volume control on each pickup instead of the blend.

New Guitar.jpg

BC Rich Guitar. Right out of the box this thing is killer. The tones it makes are so much more varied than my Hamer. The playability was amazing. Set my Extra Slinkys on it and just took off. Few things I didn't realize about FR tremelos: 1) you have to guess at intonation...took me a few tries to get it close and I still haven't hit "perfect" yet. 2) They are REALLY touchy. If you hit it just a little too hard, it sounds like you're trying to dive bomb. Need to get used to that. 3) Drop tuning is not simple. Originally put some new strings on and tuned to E just to play around with the thing. I knew tuning was a monster with FR, but it wasn't too bad. THEN I tried to tune down to D#. Man what a nightmare. Have to totally retune the guitar and then lock down and retune the fine tuners and then there were intonation problems. My Hamer, you just tune er down and it still sounds great. Intonation doesn't change much. Guess I'll use it to learn songs with and then play whatever I need the tone of :)
Hopefully the two pointy bits won't make it sound too awful...:laughings:

Anyway. Very happy with both purchases.

Mutt, not real up on phase issues from pickups. Is it possible this could be remedied by replacing the blend knob with a second volume pot and rewiring? Or maybe a cap or resistor could eliminate the phase issue when the pickups are equal? Never seen this in a commercial bass (but I was used to playing higher $$ gear.) Made in Indonesia, this one...not that that's necessarily bad, just stating.

Not sure what your at? What problem you having other than the tricky intonation/trem thing which is pretty much always gonna be there to some degree when you are messing with open tunings?

EDIT: Just re read and you mean the bass.... I'm just about to watch the footie as My team are kicking off in the FA cup. Back later this evening... Come on you Irons..

Were you so excited you couldn't stop trembling when you took the pictures?;)

I have a Schecter bass.... long time now. You've just reminded me I need to restring it and lower the action...

When the blend knob on the bass is in the very center and both pickups are at full it sounds like it is phase cancelling, bad. Just trying to figure out if replacing the blend pot with a second volume pot and rewiring to have a volume on each pickup instead of a master volume and blend control would help the problem. Or if there's some way to use a cap or resistor or some such that would help the problem.

Were you so excited you couldn't stop trembling when you took the pictures?;)

I have a Schecter bass.... long time now. You've just reminded me I need to restring it and lower the action...

Action on this is right at 1/64th at the 24th. The round wounds that came on the thing were extremely noise (lots of buzz) almost everywhere. The new strings are very nice at that height. May not have to mess with that part, but might just raise a little on each, just because I am semi-heavy handed...

Back