New Song: Mix Critique please

marcusreynolds

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Looking for feedback on the mix and specific suggestions for improvement. Mix is attached in mp3 format. Thanks!

Marcus

Attachments

• Better Mix 1.6.mp3
    9.1 MB · Views: 25
Welcome to the forums! Feel free to give feedback on other people's mixes too. It'll help build goodwill and get more posts on your own.

Your tones are good. Everything sounds clean. Good harmonies.

The panning is throwing me off a little. Seems like everything is hard-panned or very close to center? Seems like the whole thing leans a little left, largely due to the acoustic there seeming to hold its notes out more.

There was some kind of glitch or hiccup around 1:44 too.

Really dig the drums in this one.

I agree with VHS on the acosutic sounding better on the left. Dont know why...maybe its an EQ thing.

You've did a good job in this mix and the song is really nice to listen too.

Welcome to the forum, btw!

Welcome!

Nice blend. I like the softness of everything. Very consistent.

Vocals are nice and warm, but the pitch is not great. Usually people struggle with the high notes but in this case it's the low ones.

I can mostly only echo what the others have said. The one thing I would add is that some notes in the vocal (usually at the end of phrases) drop significantly in volume. I'm not sure compression can help. I think it's something to focus on when tracking.

A very nice sounding song.

Nice job on recording. Good tones for all the instruments and they blend nicely in the mix.

They song is too low for the singer. It needs to transpose up about one and a half steps. He loses all control on the low notes. Except for the bridge, the singer maintains the same intensity throughout the song and doesn't change energy levels. He should be putting more in to it towards the end.

In the arrangement, you might be able to make room for a little piano solo. It sounds great and you should show it off more. You might have an extra chorus you could sacrifice so you're not chewing up extra time.

Welcome to the site.

I agree with Chili, going up a little bit in pitch could help the vocal performance. What piano and organ plugins do you use if you don't mind me asking? They both sound really nice in the mix.

Back