New Sonar coming...

I don't think I'm going to make the leap this time. I use 8.5 PE and it does all that I need. I actually use "Project 5", more than any other software.

Mike bought X1 - took about two hours to find all the stuff they moved/changed so I could do normal stuff. It works on Windows 7 with 64 bit yada yada yada , FAIL on design..... Churn .... keeps them all employed and us broke....

I stayed with Sonar 4 Producer for the last 5 years and had no inclination to change to any other version, let alone any other brand. No-one could give me any convincing arguments for ProTools or CuBase. Had a brief look at a buddy's Sonar 8 but was not compelled to upgrade. Sonar 4 Producer did everything fine. But I took a look at Sonar X1 and thought it might be time...

I stayed with Sonar 4 Producer for the last 5 years and had no inclination to change to any other version, let alone any other brand. No-one could give me any convincing arguments for ProTools or CuBase. Had a brief look at a buddy's Sonar 8 but was not compelled to upgrade. Sonar 4 Producer did everything fine. But I took a look at Sonar X1 and thought it might be time...

I'm curious; what in particular make you think it was time to upgrade?

I don't have a really good reason for upgrading. Maybe I read the hype, read the details and thought I should get a version that is more up-to-date with features that so far I had to add on separately. I know that with many other software tools in other industries there are people who are still using the old DOS programs and have not upgraded to the Windows versions and yet are still productive. I feel I could have run forever on Sonar 4 but I felt that I should know something about the latest version before I rejected it, lol

I have been watching the new developments right up to Sonar 8 and didn't quite feel compelled to upgrade until now. And I dont have a really good need to do so now, just wanted to stay up-to-date and perhaps take advantage of the latest tools of the trade.

I'm still using Sonar 3, for much the same reasons you just cited. But when v.8 came out, the magazine critics raved about how superior it had become and especially some new MIDI editing tools that they said made work far more efficient. THAT, immediately got my attention.

Since I primarily use Sonar for MIDI, that has/had great appeal to me. I'm also starting to get my toes wet with using software synthesizers, and I can see that this could become a lot of fun for me.

There's one primary obstacle holding me back. My computer. My 2004 machine now qualifies for the bare minimum requirement to run Sonar X1. When I get a new computer, then I'll upgrade Sonar, too.

A new computer was mandatory before I took this step. I got the fastest computer I could afford with an i7 CPU and a GA-X58A-UD3R mobo, 1TB of hard drive plus additional external backup drives and 4GB of RAM. I replaced the M-Audio AP192 sound card that I had been using for the last few years with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP audio interface. I still have recordings - not many, since I update them over time - that have the supersonic scream of a computer fan in the background. This new computer makes absolutely no noise... apart from what comes out of the speakers intentionally. The computer still seems slow but I know I got the best I could afford and thats all you can do.

Back