New setup need suggestions

thegatekeeper

Hey guys been saving up for a while and I want to know if its worth going the opteron route I'm looking into the opteron 270x2 with a tyan Thunder K8W (S2885) and about 3 gb of ram in a rackmountable case. What do you guys think any suggestions any changes?

the opteron is a server/workstation based processor by amd and the one I'm refering to is a dual core 2.0 ghz processor. The motherboard is by one of the few manufacturers that have stability in the mulitprocessor platform.

I do 24 tracks streaming to an outboard mixer at 24Bit/44.1KHz with a Pentium IV 3.0GHz and 1 Gig of DDR400 without a single glitch in the past year.

Have you heard of the term "overkill"? :D

recently I had a similar setup a 2.5amd xp on about 1gb of ram. I loaded up ivory and guitar rig and that's it, the computer was spitting farts all over the place. I use alot of vst's thats why I need the power not because of the audio streaming.

Toss the 2885 (unless you are one of the EXTREMELY lucky few who it wants to work for)

Go for the S2895

I havent even got dualcores at this point, but Im running 2X248's on a s2895 and i am STILL grinning from ear to ear about the speed of this thing

under 1500$ including a 4 space rack case...I LOVE it...if you got more money, or more Ebay patience, the 280 dualcores for it would be even more Uber...as soon as the dualcores get cheap, Ill be dropping them straight in, yet I needent make any other changes :)

thegatekeeper said:
how long do you think after I invest in a $2000 system how long do you think it would take before prices start to depritiate?

About the same time as you open the box.

LemonTree said:
I do 24 tracks streaming to an outboard mixer at 24Bit/44.1KHz with a Pentium IV 3.0GHz and 1 Gig of DDR400 without a single glitch in the past year.

Have you heard of the term "overkill"? :D
Lemon,what soundcard/s are you using to rout the analog sound?

Back