New original song - a bit of fun...

jonathantan77

Hi everyone

Here's a fun song I wrote called 'What would Jack do?'. It's an unplugged version since my drummer brother is having exams and doesn't have time to drum it for me. Firstly, the sad part: For those who follow the TV series Stargate: SG1, you'll recognise the lyrics as being about the main character, Jack O'Neill. My friends and I are big fans, so this is a tongue in cheek tribute to the man :) Please, feel free to comment on the mix and the musicianship, or just drop by to tell me that I'm a geek.

I've been experimenting around with multi-layering the rhythm instruments and panning them. Newbie stuff I know, but I'm glad Im' getting the hang of it now. I also used dynamic compression in soundforge for the first time to normalise the vocals! yay. I'm becoming a recording-techno geek in addition to a sci-fi geek.

Cheers
Jonathan

Not too bad, however, you have a serious low freq rumble goin on.....I think it's the bass causing it? Not sure, the bass is so deep and muddy.

NL5

Thank you for the comments. I don't hear the muddiness on my computer speakers. I can hear the individual bass notes, but it may be a bit loud. I can't go back and remix it though, because I had to delete the tracks to free up enough memory to produce the final wav file doh. Oh well, it was just an experiment anyway.

Does anyone care to comment on the vocal sound? That's my main concern at the moment. Thx in advance!

Jonathan

jonathantan77 said:
Does anyone care to comment on the vocal sound? That's my main concern at the moment. Thx in advance!

Jonathan

vox is ok man...
could be just a tad drier.....a little mud in that verb..

harmony vox is good man...

bass is definitely booming man...needs a mid boost and a low cut and perhaps a level adjustment...
lead guit sounds good man...nice and clear..
acoustic is a little low in the mix to my ears man..
what is your signal chain?

Joe

The tune is excellent.

I think the bass has been covered. The acoustic sounds a bit harsh? Did you record it direct? Maybe try mic'ing it. Nice solo though....solo's are cool direct, no need to mic those. Some of the harmonies on the word "do" sound a tad off at times. I'd say it's very close.

[/QUOTE]The tune is excellent.
/QUOTE]

Thanks! Can't wait till I record it with drums and electrics. My brother is an excellent drummer and I actually wrote the song specifically for drums. If you know of a song called Lido Shuffle by Boz Scaggs, that's the groove I eventually want to get. Yes, I recorded all guitar parts direct. I didn't know there was much difference. By the way, on your thread, I made a comment about common singing mistakes and here I am guilty of it myself! I did notice it when mixing, but I was rushed for time and thought no one would notice...obviously I was wrong! Well picked up.

Joe, thanks for your comments. I don't know what you mean by signal chain, but I just plugged my acoustic into a Fostex MR-8 recorder.

Back