New kick skins...

Dogbreath

Im an ex-spurt
So my family chipped in and got me new skins and I'm having issues with the kick.

The batter is the Superkick III and the reso is the Resonator.

What I'm wondering is...since both skins have built in muffling type rings, do you think that's messing with my tone?

I've tried batter just past wrinkles and reso tuned up a bit tighter, vice-versa, both tuned low, both tuned high...

?

I got a better kick sound out of my old heads. :rolleyes:

I'm still tweaking with it but was just questioning having 2 muffled skins.

Keep in mind, I don't claim to be a real drummer so it very well could just be me.
:)

Thanks gents.

I've never used a III. Is that the 1-ply coated Superkick?

I like the Superkick II myself. 2-ply clear.

I've never used a III. Is that the 1-ply coated Superkick?

I like the Superkick II myself. 2-ply clear.

I guess it's a 1 ply. But it's got a dot wear the beater hits and it's rough (ish). Almost like canvas.
I dunno.
I've never dealt with a batter like this.

It's different.

I just read that it's 1 ply coated with power dot.
Ya think it's the "coated" that's messin with me?

Yup that's a coated head. Me personally, I don't like 1-ply coated kick heads. I'm guessing it sounds kind of dull? What were you using before?

yeah, kinda dull sounding. I was using the superkick II before but it's got a lot of miles and several drummers.

Any thoughts to liven this up?

other than buying another superkick II?
:D

I'll just keep fartin with it. Tension and EQ....
and stuff.

Try using a plastic beater for more attack...if you already are then get the head you like and know.

Try using a plastic beater for more attack...if you already are then get the head you like and know.

and that's why I dig this place. :drunk:

I'd completely forgotten about the 2 (two) plastic beaters I already have. :facepalm:

Ima boob. :o

I'll give em a shot.
Thanks.

Lol. I don't know what you know. From now on I'll just assume you know nothing. :D

Plastic/wood beaters will usually make short work of destroying an unprotected batter head, so yeah, use a falam patch.

Oh I also was gonna say , make sure you listen, or record, the kick when someone else is playing also. What you think sounds like crap may not be the case.....or it could be worse.

Back