New 2014 Les Pauls

That e-tune shit is dumb. Beautiful guitar though, except for all that peace garbage. I like "serenity sunrise" myself.

Try to play one if you can. A buddy of mine just got a new standard with gibson's modern traditional weight relieving, whatever that is nowadays, and the guitar is bright as hell. Really bright. That may or may not be a problem for you.

It seems crazy to spend that much and then replace stuff, but I know a lot of gearheads do that.
The weight relief thing, I'd probably go with the traditional heavy sucker model...but then I dont play live. Gibbys are so frkn expensive...wow...sticker shock.
I sold my last one for $300 in 77 or something...it was all rusted up and yet, in hindsight i was a young complete dipshit about gear.

It seems crazy to spend that much and then replace stuff, but I know a lot of gearheads do that.
The weight relief thing, I'd probably go with the traditional heavy sucker model...but then I dont play live. Gibbys are so frkn expensive...wow...sticker shock.
I sold my last one for $300 in 77 or something...it was all rusted up and yet, in hindsight i was a young complete dipshit about gear.

There are different levels of Gibson weight relieving. There's the solid body, I think Customs and modern Traditionals are totally solid. They weigh like 11-12 pounds. I've weighed my Trad and it weighs 11 pounds exactly. I assume it's solid, but it may be swiss cheesed. Speaking of swiss cheese, there's also "swiss cheesing" which is like 7-9 one inch holes drilled into the upper body, like where your forearm would be, under the maple cap. I think this is the longest running style of weight relieving for LPs going back to the late 50s even. Swiss cheesing doesn't really affect tone like more aggressive weight relieving does. And then there's the modern chambering which is wide pockets of the body routed out for significant weight reduction. Lately Gibson has been taking pieces out that look like pie slices. Chambering does affect the sound pretty significantly. Chambered LPs are pretty bright. I'm personally not a fan of modern weight relieving.

Fuck it, here...
Weight Relief: What

That e-tune shit is dumb. Beautiful guitar though, except for all that peace garbage. I like "serenity sunrise" myself.

I tried out a Gibson SG with the E-Tune fitted a couple of months ago when I was shopping for a new guitar. (No intention of buying a Gibson SG but always nice to play one. The owner of the shop dropped said SG after I'd had a play and snapped the neck at the nut! :eek: ) - RE:The E-Tune thing, although quirky and a bit lame, actually worked really well on the one I played. I didn't think it would work anything like it was supposed to but press a button, strum all strings, in tune. Done. A bit strange.

Totally agree about all that Peace jazz on that guitar. That shit would have to go if it were mine. I'd be embarrassed to show people that shit.

:thumbs up:

Last edited:
The e-tune does indeed work. It's crazy. I just can't get around a machine tuning for me. That's just me. And with the questionable consistency of gibson nuts, some of the one's I've tried tune the guitar, then you play, and bam it's out of tune again because the nuts stick. With a perfectly cut nut and intonation though I think it would work flawlessly every time.

The e-tune does indeed work. It's crazy. I just can't get around a machine tuning for me. That's just me.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't think it is something I would ever go for personally. I'm an 'out of tune by ear' kinda guy.

:thumbs up:

The etune works great. Since I use alternate and open turnings a lot it will save me time. Actually pretty exited about the feature.

The peace stuff is cheap and easy to replace. Don't know yet what to do. I want a Paul off eBay but I get nervous about getting ripped off.

I played that Peace model at the local music store and found the fretboard was very dried out and a little slow to play. Neck was a little wonky (rounded/clumsy) to me. The amp setup was a Marshal JVM 205 but it sounded like shit through some Mesa speaker cabinet - could not get a clean sound at all. I also tried a new Standard Plus which played nicer (9-46 actually) and cleaner but for $3200 they can keep it for now until I win the lottery lol.

I can't believe they put those awful knobs and stopbar on the guitar. They are coming off before I ever play it.

Back