Neumann KM 184 matched pair...are they worth it?

Btyre2013

I have sold my single rode NT5 and use a Neumann TLM103 for my main mic now and am wanting some high end SDC mics to add to my collection. I didn't like the rode at all because of the slightly hyped high end.

What would you recommend for a budget of £1000 or less? I definitely like a neutral and unhyped sound, the more like the original source the better! I've been liking what I hear with the neumann km 184 but understand that geffel make some, and beyer for similar money. I will have the money in a month or so from now so am still researching...so I'd like some opinions,

Ben.

I have sold my single rode NT5 and use a Neumann TLM103 for my main mic now and am wanting some high end SDC mics to add to my collection. I didn't like the rode at all because of the slightly hyped high end.

What would you recommend for a budget of £1000 or less? I definitely like a neutral and unhyped sound, the more like the original source the better! I've been liking what I hear with the neumann km 184 but understand that geffel make some, and beyer for similar money. I will have the money in a month or so from now so am still researching...so I'd like some opinions,

Ben.

Although similar, the Neumann KM184 and Gefell M300 do sound different and some prefer one over the other.

The Gefell is available as singles or as a matched pair stereo set complete with stereo bar. However, if money is tight, Gefell will pair match two singles and do not charge extra - so you get a pair cheaper, but you lose the stereo bar and riser.

Also, if you want to try first, Gefell have loan sets in the UK to try before you buy (Neumann may do this as well).

Thanks John, I'm now leaning more towards the geffel M300, it sounds pretty incredible from the clips I've heard, I noticed that they are above £1000 though, more like £1,600 from what I found which is too expensive, the neumanns aren't really that far behind and in some ways I prefer them, the transients seem to come through in a different way but they also sound a tiny bit brighter as well.

Last edited:
Back