Need Info QUICK!

ditnoj

Hi!

I live in Mexico. I work at a church. They want a studio. They neglected to consult me "with time" concerning the special construction needs. I've been concentrating more on the equipment research end lately and walked into the Administrato's office and saw a meeting with the architect and some plans with rooms labeled as nothing but "offices". Did I mention that the Administrator isn't really "gung ho" about the studio? That's OK because the pastor does...and the pastor is the administrator's dad!

Anyway, I need to finish at least the outer wall research, like, TODAY!!(Ok, tommorrow)
1) What is the URL for the oft mentioned "John Sayers site"?

The space is going to be 8.5 meters by 5.5 meters (yards, more or less, right?) 6 of those meters will have about a 4 meter cieling and the other 2.5 a 2.7 meter cieling.j

NONE of these measurements includes wall space.

There will be a youth sanctuary/activity center (STOP shaking your heads!) above. A cistern (it's like a little reservoir for the church complex) will be on one end, an office on the other. THe parking lot is along one side and earth along the other.

I was thinking of A) control room in the middle facing sideways with a room on each side or more likely B) the "traditional" longways deal with control room on one end facing the recording room and then building baffles and stuff later.

THe architect was saying he figured that two brick walls with "unicell" (the styrofoam looking acoustic stuff, right?) in the middle, or just air.
I was thinking a center wall of cinder block filled with sand or earth and a brick wall on both sides of that. (emphasis on readily accesible materials, see?)The brick on the inside will then be covered with plaster kind of stuff (no, not stucco)

Questions:

THe wall between control and recording room should be the same as the outer walls?

How thick the glass (remember, "normal" kind of materials)?

2 of those glasses, of course.

Seeing as how I'm going to have 2 meters of lower cieling, should that end be the control room (will most likely have Event 20/20's or at the very least PS8) or part of the recording room?

Any other considerations for the basic wall construction?

I'm not as worried about where doors are going to be because down here, you just kind of knock out the space you want and put a door in, but I do know that I should have separate entrances to control and to recording, if possible, and I will try to get a corridor along the side of both.

Thanks for all input!

D out ITNOJ

What do y'all think about the wall construction mentioned above?

Here's a link to John's site:
http://www.lis.net.au/~johnsay/Acoustics/

click on the STC ratings link for sure ... he gives really good descriptions of different wall constructions and they're effectiveness. I personally think your double brick & concrete block wall is overkill.
Think through your door placement too .. if you build a nice double wall and then stick a door in it any old place, you could really undermine all of your design and effort in making a great STC-rated wall. A good idea is to make "airlocks" ... or vestebules for each door ... a good example of this concept is at http://greysfiles.com/Studio/Index.htm ... under "Joe Egans" Studio. Check out how every entry to each room goes through an airlock.
Your best bet is to make each room isolated from the rest of the building ... no walls from different rooms touching at all. But, that's not always possible so check out those STC ratings and see if you can compromise.

Also, check out some of the sample designs he has there ... particularly the 'corner control room' ... there's some really good ideas there that may translate to your project. If possible, I'd put the control room and maybe a small vocal booth under the 2.5m ceiling and leave the rest of the space for a large live room. Since it's for a church, I assume you'll probably have a full choir in there every once in a while ... you may need that space for them.

Check this forum for a "windows" thread ... there was quite a lengthy discussion on that topic a while ago ... with a lot of good info on design and installation.

You seem a bit rushed into this project ... and I can understand the feeling. But, if there's any way you can postpone any final design decisions to make sure you're doing the right thing ... even for a couple days ... do it. Otherwise you may wind up kicking yourself everytime you record once everything is done ... kinda like I do. :)

Good Luck, ditnoj!

OK,

Good news is, I had seen the Sayers site quite a while back and had already planned on trying to use one of the designs there.(one of the two garage studio constructions or the "center control room") I also had downloaded and printed and read just about all of the construction related stuff as well. I just had forgotten the name of whose site it was.

Fortunately I don't have to have a HUGE room in the studio because the small sanctuary that will be upstairs can be used for choir, or "rondalla" (5 to 15 guitarists) or whatever.

Alright, so according to the STC charts I probably don´t need TWO brick walls with the block. The deal is, however that a stud and sheetrock wall is not the standard construction down here... block and brick is. And overkill is still better than underkill, right?

Anyway, assuming I scale down the external walls, can I get some decent isolation from above (the pool table, the ping pong table, etc) with a couple of feet of space with insulation and maybe a particle board cieling? I really need some suggestions on some common, practical cieling construction. Trusses and stuff like that are OUT. Plywood up to 16mm, "techo falso" (the metal frame with the acoustic/styrofoam stuff) and similar things are IN.

It seems that I can get away with double sheetrock walls with insulation between on the separation walls between control and recording rooms, according to some of the other folks designs, assuming the exterior stuff is sealed off real good. I am going to try for a corridor down the length of one wall with separate entrances into each room

I am also going to try and get the angles "built in" from jump.Meaning take out the parallels without adding another "wall" on the interior.

Really, any input you cats can give is appreciated, I am not going to have the time to bone up on the stuff like I had planned, PTL I even walked in on the meeting cause I was able to get them to dig the floor down an extra meter or so...which they were not going to do.

D out ITNOJ

Guys, I have been in the corner control room studio that John Sayer designed here in Aust. It is a great design, so if you can, adapt it to suit your needs. Yes keep the control room, etc under the lower ceiling area and as BK said if at all possible keep ALL walls isolated from each other and any other thing that may transmit vibration.

Avoid compromises and do it right the first time, that way you are giving yourself the best chance at getting the "Raw Sound" right before you even start to record.

Good luck and now back to working on my own studio design.

Back