Need ideas on how to repair a vintage tom

FALKEN

My 70's stop sign gretch kit isn't doing so well. The tom mounting hardware has come undone, for the larger tom. The hardware mounts to the shell with bolts that screw from the inside of the drum out. The mount itself seems to be stripped as the screws no longer hold it in place. How should I go about repairing this? Simply a larger # bolt? or what

Take the nut and bolt to the hardware store and just get another one and add a flat and lock washer so it will not come loose again. Seems like it should be an easy fix unless im missing something?

Take the nut and bolt to the hardware store and just get another one and add a flat and lock washer so it will not come loose again. Seems like it should be an easy fix unless im missing something?

You might be. My read of the OP's situation is that perhaps the female threaded portion that is inside the lug, may have broken off or stripped out. I have not messed with vintage Gretch drums, but I have LOTS of experience with newer, cheaper Chinese-made "stencil brand" drums. The lugs on them are often made of very poor-quality "pot metal," and I have had MANY of them just break off- it's happened when i screwed the lugs too tightly to the shells, when I over-tensioned the heads, and even when the drum was just freakin' SITTING THERE, me and anybody else in the room on the other side of the room!

If that is what happened, I know of only two real solutions:
1. Replace the lug.
2. Be extra careful with that lug from that moment on- it will stay in place with only one screw in place, and if you are lucky, no one will notice and the other screw hole will never break. To be honest, if you are THAT lucky, you should throw the whole thing in the trash and stop squandering such outrageous luck on a drum- go buy yourself a lottery ticket! :D

It's not really as easy as replacing the nut. The nut mechanism is part of the mount itself. I tried using only 1 bolt instead of 2, eventually the 2nd one stripped and the mount just came off (or rather, the tom came off the drumset).

The pictures of the tom actually mounted are of the other tom that isn't broken.

I've got nothing to offer you on drum repair, just wanted to say hey since it's been awhile. You still living in north Florida?

crankz pretty much gave you the best options.

If your like me and too lazy to try those options you could do this.

Im gonna assume that the screws do tighten somewhat but do not grab completly.
Take the origanal screws and mount to a hardware store find new screws that are the same or that have a corser thread and make sure they will screw in the mount.Get some gorrilla glue. Go home put glue on the threads{dont get carried away} and put it all back together, let it sit for 24hrs, mount the drum and jam. Just keep in mind that those screws will most likley never come out ever again.

I was in a pinch and did a similar repair and its still holding strong. Primitave but effective.

Just replace the hardware on the tom. Or do the poor mans option wrap the tom arm in tape until it fits snug inside the lock.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't fixed it yet but I will try a few of the ideas here when I can.

Hey seeker - 'sup!

Back