Need help picking interface for PPC g5 Dual core

chrisscoggins

Hello all,I am wanting to find out what interfaces (exact models please) that will work with logic 8 on my older g5 ppc. I am wanting to mainly be able to just record 2 tracks at one time. Also if possible can some tell me if a roland vs880ex would work as a controller with logic 8. Sorry for all the questions, I just don't have much knowledge on what will and won't work with my g5 since it is a ppc older model. I don't really want to upgrade cause it is strictly for recording use only and the quality it does is superior...so i am completely happy with what it can produce. I would really like to go the roland route,but would probably be easier with the interface,as long as i get one that will work. Thanks in advance everyone. I currently am running the highest os 10.5.8 on it.

Hi Chris, I know nothing of macs nor Logic 8 but there is a 1.0.8 driver for the Native Instruments KA6 and therefore I am sure anything later?

In any event there are few if any interfaces better overall for the money than the KA6.

I have also just seen that the Roland has digital ins and outs, so does the KA6 so that is a hassle free and high quality way to exchange stereo signals. The Roland also has MIDI DINs as, again does the KA6. Not sure what you can do with such a connection but it could be fun finding out!

Dave.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, I know nothing of macs nor Logic 8 but there is a 1.0.8 driver for the Native Instruments KA6 and therefore I am sure anything later?

In any event there are few if any interfaces better overall for the money than the KA6.

I don't see anything to suggest there is a PPC driver. I could just have missed it, of course.

A lot of years back Apple moved from Motorola (I think) processors to Intel.
It's one of those major compatibility milestones where old an new just don't speak to each other.

While there may be a driver for the 10.5 and 10.6 operating system, it is most likely intel only.

I don't see anything to suggest there is a PPC driver. I could just have missed it, of course.

A lot of years back Apple moved from Motorola (I think) processors to Intel.
It's one of those major compatibility milestones where old an new just don't speak to each other.

While there may be a driver for the 10.5 and 10.6 operating system, it is most likely intel only.

Ok, well! I said I was ignorant of matters mac!

If the OP is in the UK he can have a months try with my KA6 for shipping both ways?

Otherwise...Buy a PC!

Dave.

Back