Need better hihats for recording?

lttoler

I have been trying to record our drummer for the past month and have not been happy with the overhead sound yet. The hihats always sound really annoying. We have used 3 different sets of mics including Sahiaman Little Blondies, Audix f15's, and Cascade Fathead ribbon mics.

The hihats we have used are a set of 13" Quick Beats and a 14" set with a Z custom on bottom and A custom on top.

Could it be that we still need a set of hats that are more suitable for recording? I have done all sorts of EQ techniques and still get a very dominant sound instead of a light sizzle that I would prefer. The drummer has also tried playing very light with the same results.

Thanks in advance!

you cant get much better than quick/new beats. Maybe try putting some sort of cloth over the hat to dampen the sound a bit.

The gear is good....Quick Beats are one of the most ideal hats for recording, and the A/Z hybrids are well reknowned.

Could be the mics....or could be the players.

I play with New Beats (best hi-hats ever), and I think they're meatier than the Quick Beats, which could be what you are looking for.

Post an example and point out what you find annoying.

Getting to much of the "bong" or something (only way I can describe that sound, but when you hear it in the mic you know what I mean).

Mic position? Just an idea.

When I first started reading I was thinking "crap-hats" but after seeing what you're using, that's deffinitely not the case. I'd just try the simple stuff first like repositioning the mic as even a 1" difference can make the difference.

Back