Need advice with recording

YourBoyHanks

Hey folks, just wondering what I can do to resolve this issue. I have an Audiotechna AT2020 USB condenser microphone hooked up to my computer. When I'm recording sometimes I may shout or scream and my microphone goes all grainy and distorted. Just wondering how I can resolve this or anything helpful?
Thanks everyone!

Yes I'm an audio beginner haha -_-

Get a non-USB mic and an audio interface where you can adjust the gain.
Other than that, learn microphone technique - back off from the mic when you get louder.

Absolute spot on advice. For ever, it seems, recording and live audio equipment has had a gain control, close to the point where the microphone audio comes into the device - before any eq or processing happens. USB mics seem to have forgotten how important this is - and leave the gain preset, which is rarely going to be right! You are left with simply moving in or out from the mic as the only 'cure'. Ironically, the 2020 is a pretty nice versatile mic, but ONLY in the XLR analogue output version.

learn about gain staging, you want to be recording at -18dBFS and peaking no more than 10dBFS, if you aren't already doing this then start today.

Back