Need a Vocal Mic, SP C1 or AT40 series?

Ibrow

Hey,

Since I can get the SP C1 and the AT4040 for the same price, roughly $200, which would be preferrable.

I am primarily going to record male vocals.

Now, if I could get the AT4033 for say, $50 more, would that be preferrable to the C1 or the 4040? If I find it for $100 more, is it still preferrable?

This will be my first condenser. Previously, everything I've recorded has gone through my SM57. It's time to step up a bit, even though I can't sing. But someone that can may use my studio sometime. :)

Any help, always appreciated.

Gotta try 'em out on your voice, through your rig. The C1 can sound great, I prefer the 4033, and I don't like the 4040 (too dry) BUT.....that's on my voice. The 4040 sounds great on some other voices I record as does the C1.

Ah, see, that's not possible really. LOL!

I absolutely can't sing. I think I sound tremendous with my SM57. Think is the key word. I know I'm terrible, so I won't really be able to give any of the mics a fair comparison.

BUT, if I brought someone in to sing, which mic would be the most "universal"? :cool:

I'm sure I'd be happy with all of them. Is it worth the $50 extra for the 4033? Will "more" vocalists sound good through that than the SP or the 4040?

Thanks for your reply! Noted on the 4040.

Greatest Vocal Mics for the money anywhere

There are better mics for less money. The ADK microphones cost about half as much and sound like mics that cost ten times as much.

If you want to take a HUGE step-up from an SM57 and spend less than $200, then get the ADK A-51 DLX ($149) There is no better large diaphragm condenser microphone anywhere for under $300. In contrast to most of today's cheap condenser mics, the ADKs actually sound pleasant. They don't have the harsh highs and muddy mid range.

If you have a little more money to spend, the ADK Hamburg or Vienna models have improved on the original A-51 design. The Hamburg is designed to give that vintage German tone that the Neumann mics are famous for, and the Vienna has the brighter Austrian sound, more like a vintage C-12.

Attachments

• ADK_Hamburg.jpg
    ADK_Hamburg.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 56
Back