Naopak v0.61 - recording and mixing advices needed

ZeroTwo

The song is on soundcloud com /karma-jonten-puntschog/naopak-v061

Hello guys,

I am guite new to recording and mixing. This is my attempt to record an fully acoustic song - guitar, mandolin, upright bass and vocal.
My issue is that in my recordings there is strange midrange, I can hear mainly in cheaper speakers like in car, but pro level recordings sound great even there.
So some advice is needed

My gear used in this recording:

Mics
AKG C141B ULS
Neumann km 84

Path
Art Pro Mpa II - Steinberg UR44 - Reaper

I used mostly fabfilter eq and compression, NLS summer for analog modeling, oldschool verb for reverb

Thanks ;)

keith.rogers

Bobby'); DROP TABLE USER
The song is on soundcloud com

Naopak v0.61 by Karma Jonten Puntschog | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Hello guys,

I am quite new to recording and mixing. This is my attempt to record an fully acoustic song - guitar, mandolin, upright bass and vocal.
My issue is that in my recordings there is strange midrange, I can hear mainly in cheaper speakers like in car, but pro level recordings sound great even there.
So some advice is needed

My gear used in this recording:

Mics
AKG C141B ULS
Neumann km 84

Path
Art Pro Mpa II - Steinberg UR44 - Reaper

I used mostly fabfilter eq and compression, NLS summer for analog modeling, oldschool verb for reverb

Thanks ;)
The acoustic guitar sounds a bit distant and light on low end, while the mandolin is quite punchy and close sounding. How was the guitar recorded? (Did you mean AKG C414?)

I'd consider re-tracking the guitar to get a better sound (closer mic'd, off the neck joint, angled in - typical start point), and maybe think about the arrangement. It's a little sparse in that first verse, but then the guitar track sound is probably coloring my opinion.

Sounds like a good song, which I confess I do not understand! (I only listened on my old Sony headphones plugged into the laptop, but they are pretty trustworthy.)

La9

I think it`s a quite good recording. The vocals are a bit uneven volumewise. I would try some volume automation first, then some light compression afterwards to make the vocals sit well in the mix.

ZeroTwo

Hello, thank you very much for your feedback.

I tried to re-record the guitar - see the new mix on youtube com /watch?v=hX89_rawaOI
I used stereo micing with neumann km 84 at the 12 fret, aiming toward the hole; and second the akg c414 next to the bridge. Sounds much better now I think.
I also used another mic - neumann tlm 102 for singing (I am little sick so the performance is not the best, but this is only to test the song and the gear I have).

Looking forward for your feedback

---------- Update ----------

I think it`s a quite good recording. The vocals are a bit uneven volumewise. I would try some volume automation first, then some light compression afterwards to make the vocals sit well in the mix.

Thanks, I used automation on the vocal and is much better