My new fostex M-80

clevodrummer

Tascammer
Just wanted to show off my new Fostex M-80....works great..

clevo

also a pic of a building i would be if i hit the lotto for a recording studio...used to be a city hall building, all brick with a bell tower...countless rooms huge ceilings...gotta dream..... out in the country next to a cemetery...sorry about the pic quality...my good camera died and is torn apart...im using a real piece of crap camera from target on sale for twenty nine bucks...its a vivitar vivicam and is really a piece of toy junk...bummed out my good camera broke, im trying to fix it, in the meantime these pics are hardly worth posting..oh well...i was bored..back to work.

Attachments

• fostexM80.jpg
    fostexM80.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 106
  • studiopicsandbldg 001.jpg
    studiopicsandbldg 001.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 104
  • studiopicsandbldg 019.jpg
    studiopicsandbldg 019.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 105
Nice setup and nice machine too. Don't know anything about the Fostex machines, but I've never heard of any complaints.

Are you using a car stereo as monitor. Looks like a car stereo speaker in a cabinet. How is that?

car stereo monitor

I took a car stereo and hooked it up to a power inverter and use it to experiment with mixes...I use a Masterlink for final CD mixdowns and although it is not as close as running out to my car, it does capture the normal tone settings of car stereos, specifically the bass response...I realize its not encased in metal and glass running 70 miles down the road, but I am able to get a quick check of the ridiculous EQ settings and bass settings of car stereos "tone" banks...looks insane but serves a purpose...I obviously use the KRK monitors for mixing and the car stereo speakers are for trying to train my ears to different real world listening devices...

Cool

I did read a useful tip somewhere about tyring out your mixes on all sorts of different stereos including the one in your car to get an optimal mix.

BTW, nice angle bracket on top for hte model 80.... :-)

Nice machine!!

Thanks for the photos..I have the 80 and a 20 as well. It is so nice, I go to mixdow on the 20, but the 80 has the sound! I think it is the best sounding little machine....you can get the head relapped, if you have too...The belts, IDK, you can still buy new R8 capstan belts and rollers, but haven't found a place that sells 80 belts...let me know if you do....cool little maching and great set-up....thanks-enjoy!

you can still buy new R8 capstan belts and rollers, but haven't found a place that sells 80 belts.

Are the 80 belts any different? The part numbers seem to be, but the machines look a lot similar.

Perhaps the belts are the same.

I will look into it...I ordered 2 R8 belts and 2 pinch rollers from the Japan site, $80.00 for the 4 items-including shipping (idk how many yen...)...I am really working hard to get all my fostexs up and running, and I have a very poor conditioned R8, step one, new belt...I will look into the model 80 to see if it has the same belt...if yes then we scored!! If not, well lets not think negative. btw I have an E8 and a newly aquired E2...I am not a loyal Fostex person, but I want to get these all running pristine, gain some experience, and eventurally buy a G24S...my dream machine...but for now I am getting great sound out of most all...the R8 is dead, the E8 is good to go, the model 80 is my favorite, and the model 20 is OK (cute little machine)...good luck I will let you know about capstan belt similarities.

fostex m-80 noise reduction

just curious if you use the on board noise reduction on the M-80...I tried to bypass it and use a teac outboard noise reduction unit, but it didnt do much but cause problems...

do you use the NR ?

thanks

just curious if you use the on board noise reduction on the M-80...I tried to bypass it and use a teac outboard noise reduction unit, but it didnt do much but cause problems...

What kind of problems, and which Teac NR were you using? I haven't used my 80 that much, and not with any external NR. (I'm getting rid of my other DX-4D so that is out...)

no nr on the 80.

I don't use noise reduction on my 80. I am pretty careful to keep the highs...I believe it's all part of the analog experience.

Back