My guitar doesnt sound good

Miravsky

Hi people. I posted test tone of my metal guitar and I think its very scratchy and unstable a specially when I play power chords with long realease. Can you tell me what I need to do to fix this ? Problem seems to start when I set up distortion, but I need this so I cannot torn it off. Meybe I need compression on my guitar or other order? Below my guitar test and my setup in DAW for L/R guitar:

My setup:
1. Gate
2. TSE distortion
3. eq
4. TSE X40
5. Lecab 2
6. hi pass filter

You're using sims. Just keep tweaking it. Turn down the gain some. Why are you using a gate in front? Why are you EQ'ing? Does it really need those two processes, or are you doing it because you think you're supposed to? Why would you need compression? Overdriven tracks are already compressed.

From your clip, I'd say this is 100% operator error. You simply aren't experienced enough with dialing in a usable guitar tone. I can't tell you what to do because I don't know what you want. I'd say, again, start with dialing back the "distortion". Get rid of the fizz.

miravsky

Im using gate to get ridd of some realease tones.
Eq to shape and finaly cut some fuzz high, mid freq.

Its all about it that when I play long power chords notes the signal isnt stable, I mean its start to fuzz. In fast playing there is no problem with sound.

In addition to what's already been said, with highly overdriven tones will also become more unstable if when you play one or more strings is fretted in a way which pulls the intervals slightly out of tune with each other. Note frequencies start making a revolving effect as they beat against each other while the chord decays, it can sound crap with some distortion settings. Arriving at a good sound is a multifaceted task which takes time and personally I've always found starting out from the clean end and gradually applying gain and distortion tones while rechecking everything else works along the way is easier than having it at the mad end of the spectrum then trying to iron out the wrinkles.

Tim

Back