My first try to write and record a song. I know it ain't good.

elliottlover

This is my first try with a blue yeti and audacity and a cheap acoustic guitar. One of my first tries at writing lyrics too. Just wondering whether I should give up on trying to make my own music for good. Should I just do other hobbies like videogames, learning instruments and studying?

It's sort of coming out like a poor man's Kimya Dawson. My voice gets funny at points because I'm struggling to sing. I'm not overcome with emotion.

Please don't post mean comments. I know it's pretty shit. I'm posting because I want to know whether I should just give up on writing entirely.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a little rough. I'm not sure a thorough dissection of it's faults is really called for right now, and I'll bet you have a pretty good idea what I'd say.. sounds like you're already trying to hear it objectively.

Regarding giving up, are you a big music fan? Do you enjoy making it? How long have you been working at it? How hard are you willing to work to become better?
Hearing the first thing you ever committed to disc is not going to give anyone insight into whether or not you should continue.. it mostly comes down to your answers for the above questions, particularly the second and last. Hope that helps.

Thanks man

I worked at it for on and off for a day or two.

I'm not that committed really to music although Elliott Smith has a special place for me. Guitar's really all I play right now and I just play it on and off. I'm trying to learn piano. There are other things I'd like to do in life too and I've got mixed feelings about whether I'd like to be even vaguely successful at music, though I know it's extremely unlikely.

Got a rough idea what you'd say but I'm not sure we should get into that. Thanks for not demolishing me.

I was doing a maths degree and like maths and science. I don't think I can make a career out of maths or science though with my health. That's part of the appeal of recording music at home, but I don't have the talent and interest sufficiently. Perhaps I should just study more maths and play videogames, learn my piano and forget writing music.

Didn't hear it for the obvious reason.

I did read your posts though. Doesn't sound like you have too much drive and dedication.
Music is in your blood and is a driving force in one's life......or not.

In the absence of that drive, one can't get through the various hurdles to become good.

You figure out how that statement applies.
:D

Didn't get a chance to hear it. If your obsession with music isn't interfering with other important things in your life, you're not serious about it.

I'm not that committed really to music although Elliott Smith has a special place for me. Guitar's really all I play right now and I just play it on and off. I'm trying to learn piano. There are other things I'd like to do in life too and I've got mixed feelings about whether I'd like to be even vaguely successful at music, though I know it's extremely unlikely.

Honestly it sounds like you just answered your own question. :facepalm:

Honestly it sounds like you just answered your own question. :facepalm:

I've got mixed feelings about whether I'd like to be even vaguely successful at music, though I know it's extremely unlikely.

That's a key issue I think. If you get into music out of some desire to "succeed", you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Music is best when it comes from a place of passion: you create music because you love it.
I got into music because I loved to play and write songs. I got into recording because I knew it was the only way that I could get my songs recorded. When I started, I was a teenager with ample free time for video games, D&D, etc. in addition to the music. As time has passed and I have less and less free time, the music has gradually overtaken all the other hobbies.
I'm sure 90% of the people here have similar stories. A few of us would still like to be successful and leverage our music into a career. A few even have done so. Most of us are just sticking around out of passion for the hobby tho.

That's a key issue I think. If you get into music out of some desire to "succeed", you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Music is best when it comes from a place of passion: you create music because you love it.
I got into music because I loved to play and write songs. I got into recording because I knew it was the only way that I could get my songs recorded. When I started, I was a teenager with ample free time for video games, D&D, etc. in addition to the music. As time has passed and I have less and less free time, the music has gradually overtaken all the other hobbies.
I'm sure 90% of the people here have similar stories. A few of us would still like to be successful and leverage our music into a career. A few even have done so. Most of us are just sticking around out of passion for the hobby tho.

^this^

Back