MXL990 opinions

raym256

OK I'm your classic nooby. I just started playing music again after 30 years ago in HS and college. I have a Sennheiser e835 mic I purchased for local gigs but have decided to step into some small time home recording. I'm told by the folks at local music store I need a large diaphram mic specifically for recording and since I haven't a clue about this stuff (I'll learn in time however) I'm seeking additional advice. Currently I'm looking at the MXL990 for $100 give or take. I will strictly be doing vocals and acoustic guitar with this. Or is there a better mic for my purposes in the $100-150 range. Also can the Sennheiser be used for recording at all? Any opinions, thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

OK I'm your classic nooby. I just started playing music again after 30 years ago in HS and college. I have a Sennheiser e835 mic I purchased for local gigs but have decided to step into some small time home recording. I'm told by the folks at local music store I need a large diaphram mic specifically for recording and since I haven't a clue about this stuff (I'll learn in time however) I'm seeking additional advice. Currently I'm looking at the MXL990 for $100 give or take. I will strictly be doing vocals and acoustic guitar with this. Or is there a better mic for my purposes in the $100-150 range. Also can the Sennheiser be used for recording at all? Any opinions, thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
Technically the MXL isn't a large diaphragm mic. I'm not sure that small medium and large are officially defined anywhere, but the capsule is smaller than most.

That doesn't really matter though. It's a decent enough beginner microphone.
Like most entry condensers, it's quite bright so be prepared for that.

You could certainly try the Sennheiser in a recording environment.
Dynamics are good for studio vocal where other instruments are involved, because you can get very close to them and reduce bleed somewhat.

I hope that's useful.

The MXL990 gets a lot of stick for being a cheap mic and low end. I've had one for a couple of years and I use it quite a lot. I find it a really good mic for my acoustic, which is quite a darker/deeper sounding guitar. It's also pretty good for vocals. Like any condenser, you just has to watch your gain because it can get noisy.

Another good mic for a starter is the Studio Projects B1. :thumbs up:

Do you have an audio interface that will supply phantom power for a condensor mic?

I haven't even purchased an audio interface yet. That's how new I am at this. I have been shopping around and doing some research however. I'm so new to this I haven't a clue yet. I did purchase a Macbook Pro laptop because I was in need of a new computer and all research I've done seems to indicate the Mac, with Garageband is the way to go. I saw a youtube video that stated start small and use what you have, so I'm leaning in the direction of an inexpensive interface with two I/O's only. I simply want to be capable of doing vocals, acoustic guitar rhythm, acoustic lead and possibly some keyboards although I haven't purchased a keyboard at this point. I'm kind of getting hung up on the mic thing right now. I don't want to spend $300-500 on a mic if it's not necessary for my small time, start up home recording attempts. Thanks again for the help!

I now see a package online available with a Rode NT1-A mic, Persons AucioBox, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, tripod and cables for $369. Wondering if I'd be going wrong with this as a "starter package" or again waisting $'s as I would find I needed better stuff once I got started. The Rode appears to be a little better quality mic than the MXL990.

I apologize for being so uninformed, but like I said I am just now starting to research this equipment and obviously I haven't a clue Yet when it comes to recording and equipment needed. Thanks in advance for your patience. I have an engineering degree so I will do plenty of research and learn going forward and hopefully in a year or so be capable of offering advice myself to someone in my shoes, as I gain some experience. Something no for of formal education can replace.

Back