music starts distorting early with high volumes

rataplan

I have this problem with all of my music. I always record the guitar and voice with my shure beta 58a thru a audigy soundcard with cool edit pro. I look out for clipping and stuff! Then I mix all the tracks in fruityloops. Then I export it in fruityloops to a wave file and I burn it with nero to a CD-R. But when I listen to the result on the sterio the quality is ok but when I turn the volume up its starts distorting very early (this is not the case with for example nevermind :) ). Here is an example of one of my tracks
How can I solve this problem? Does it depend on my soundcard, microphone, software...? Or is there an option in cool edit pro to improve it?

Thanks

Are you using a pre-amp, or are you plugging directly into the "mic in" port of the sound card?

If the latter, you are using the internal pre-amp on the sound card, which is pretty much crap. Use the "Line In" port instead - however, you will need to boost the mic signal to do so (using a standalone pre-amp or a mixer).

rataplan said:
I have this problem with all of my music. I always record the guitar and voice with my shure beta 58a thru a audigy soundcard with cool edit pro. I look out for clipping and stuff! Then I mix all the tracks in fruityloops. Then I export it in fruityloops to a wave file and I burn it with nero to a CD-R. But when I listen to the result on the sterio the quality is ok but when I turn the volume up its starts distorting very early (this is not the case with for example nevermind :) ). Here is an example of one of my tracks
How can I solve this problem? Does it depend on my soundcard, microphone, software...? Or is there an option in cool edit pro to improve it?

Thanks

I checked out the clip using SpectraFoo. A lot of sub frequency content that you may not be hearing on your speakers (just pushes them to distortion).

Try using a sharp hi-pass filter around 20-30 Hz to remove it.

masteringhouse said:
I checked out the clip using SpectraFoo. A lot of sub frequency content that you may not be hearing on your speakers (just pushes them to distortion).

Try using a sharp hi-pass filter around 20-30 Hz to remove it.

I listened myself.

Yep, Master is right. Your monitoring environment seems to be your problem.

Good Luck

Malcolm

Back