MR-8 Question

ibush01

Hi -- I'm new here, and seeking your expertise for what's probably one of those 'stupid questions.'

I have a Fostex MR-8 (the old red one) and I have a 1/8" stereo line connected to each input -- one to a mic phantom power box; the other to the headphone output of a laptop.

The mic is recording crystal clear. But the laptop feed -- a pre-recorded musical backing track -- is very distorted. You can barely hear the vocals on a test track I've uploaded -- take a listen: View attachment rihanna_mr8test.mp3. (I don't need the music track for the final project, I simply need it for a clear headphone feed for the performers.)

I've tried mucking about with the trim (only gets more distorted the closer I get to mic). All effects are off. I've tried switching inputs to see if the input is busted, I've switched cables to see if that has an effect, and I've switched computers and source audio files. Nothing seems to make a difference. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help.

backer music track

You mention that you are running the backer track from a lap top. It could be an impedance issues because that is the older Fostex machine., I have had trouble running high impedance instruments line in and getting funky sound.

Did you consider burning your track to a CD and running it from a CD player? Or maybe stepping the signal down with a floor box similar device?

I know it sounds like jerry rigging....but I work with old systems and have to do that alot.

I was reading the manual last night doing some research for a project I am thinking about.

Two things. Did you check your 'trim' setting. If that is way high, you could be sending a huge amount of signal and distorting

The other thing. I was looking at my bpx of miscelaneous and sundry parts and pieces and have a 1/4 to 1/4 high low z connector. so from your computer micropin, ise a fine wire with a micropin to stereo 1/4 inch convertor into the high low z and do a line in sort of connection.

Just a thought

Back