MR 16 "too many events" Help!

ishgumi44

I am in the middle of recording a song on my fostex mr16 and a warning message comes up: "to many events!" now I can't record or finish my song. Is there anything I can do about it? any ideas would be appreciated. Please help!
there is NOTHING in the manual about it!

You can try downloading all the Songs you want to keep on to your PC and then Re-Format the disk.

Delete does NOT recover disk space, it only marks the Songs as "hidden".

Also you may have carried out too many edit functions on your Song.

Thanks Terfyn. I just don't understand WHY there is only a limited number of edit/ undo/redo evens that are alowable per song! the disk was empty, with 40 gigs of capacity. There is plenty of room. BTW, I downloaded the song folder to my computer and reformated my disk, but now, after uploading the folder back to the fostex, it won't recognize it. I am ready to give up, and my opinion of Fostex products is in the dumps. any ideas? My eternal gratitudes.:mad:

Please take your question to

http://mygear.olivier-recordings.com/user/Categories.aspx?pcid=202165&ct=Fostex

where you should get some more help.
The problem is to do with a file that is created as the result of too many edits. You can save the recording but I can't remember how.
The old Fostex forum site had the answer and I know that Cairns has copied some of the more useful answers across.
The Fostex is a good machine but the original design of the MR series was for PC editing using software such as Audacity. The result is a DOS that is weak and only designed for simple actions.

Thanks a million Terfyn. I followed your advice. As you can tell I am bit of a newby and I put many hours into this recorcing. A failure is not an option... At least I have the folder saved on my computer. BY the way, I noticed that it is made of many snipits that include everything I deleted and erased.. What a mess!

Well, it did it again folks, for the second time... "Too many events" in a not-so eventful song.. either my machine has a fatal flaw in it (I don't think that's the case), or all these machines are crap.. Sorry... But I'll get to the bottom of this if it's the last thing I ever do..

Have you gone online and updated the drivers and installed the patches? They are availabe free on the Fostex website.

Got an answer that worked for me...

Well, it did it again folks, for the second time... "Too many events" in a not-so eventful song.. either my machine has a fatal flaw in it (I don't think that's the case), or all these machines are crap.. Sorry... But I'll get to the bottom of this if it's the last thing I ever do..

So, I realize this is an old thread, but just in case people are still wondering about this, I seem to have an answer. After reading up on some of the way that other Fostex equipment and software programing works, I took a wild guess on some info I read and it paid off on the MR16. Whenever you hit record, save an A or a B point, cut something, paste something, delete something, etc., the Fostex software on the MR16 saves an "event" and puts that event into a log of some sort (for what exactly...I don't know). When that log gets full on a particular song, that error of too many events shows up. I didn't find a way to delete the log. But, what I did find is that if you export your tracks to some external media (I use the Fostex WavManager software to accomplish that), you can then delete the song all together from your MR16. Create a new song, import your tracks back into the MR16 using the WavManager, and then you're back in business. Hopefully that helps. It's more of a work-around than a fix...but it worked for me and I'm able to continue my project.

Definitely don't do what I did...

I just had this error myself. I discovered, as a user recently pointed out, that the Fostex does indeed save every take you do on the track as an "event" - every botched solo or vocal take, every anything. So I connected my laptop to the machine and went through and deleted some of those "events" that I knew to be ones I was not keeping. I am utterly defeated-feeling now. Even though the tracks I deleted were recorded over by me, when I took them off the Fostex disk it completely screwed up the entire song. The volume on some of the tracks is totally, insanely overly loud. There seems to be no way of fixing it. It doesn't even really want to load up the song anymore. So if anyone has any ideas how that might be fixable, that'd be great, but otherwise, just make sure you don't do that.

UPDATE: Well, now that doesn't appear to be happening. Thank God. So here's exactly what happened - after I deleted some of those "events" and exited USB Device mode, the player started me on a different song. When I tried to load the one I'd been working on, it froze. I restarted and when I went back to the song, that's when I noticed the levels just insanely awry. I came here to read up on it and replied to this thread. After turning the machine back on, the song seems to be OK now. Still, scary as hell, and there's probably a better way to clear out events - like some of the suggestions listed.

One more update, just to bring everyone up to speed: not only did I have that scary close call where I thought my entire song was ruined, even after deleting dozens of events (I've apparently made over 600 attempts at the different parts of this song) I got the same "Too Many Events!" error, so it didn't even work. My plan is to move the tracks to a new song tomorrow; I believe there is a way to do this...

You can try to move the tracks to a PC. using WavManager.

The point that has been made often is that Delete does not remove the track, it just makes it disappear. The only clean way is to re-format the disk.
Those who know the MR16, know to download a recording session to the computer as soon as it is finished. Then re-format and start afresh.

Back