MP3 format sound won't always play

whymark

Hi, I just finished a CD with MP3 format sounds exported from Cubase 7 running on a PC. So far, I have had two people tell me that it doesn't play on their home machines but, does OK in the car. I think one of the machines is a Mac laptop and I know that jpegs put together on a Mac (burned to a CD) will not display on a PC. Is this incompatibility between the two OS affecting the playback of MP3? Is there a fix? e.g. different format for Mac??
Just when I think I've got it all figured out....I don't

Thanks,
Mark

mp3 is a universal codec, it should play on any OS. A CD is capable of WAV quality 16 bit 44.1kHz, it's not a good idea to burn mp3 files onto a CD...unless it is data Was it a data CD? or a CD-R? maybe there was a problem with how you burnt the CD

mp3 is a universal codec, it should play on any OS. A CD is capable of WAV quality 16 bit 44.1kHz, it's not a good idea to burn mp3 files onto a CD...unless it is data Was it a data CD? or a CD-R? maybe there was a problem with how you burnt the CD

I used a CD-RW....I select "treat as CD Audio" instead of "treat as USB".....what's the problem with burning MP3 to a CD? I used Windows Media Player to burn the files and have done so for years with no problems.....this is the first time the files couldn't be read (that I'm aware of)....still confused and much obliged for any help
thanks
mark

I used a CD-RW....I select "treat as CD Audio" instead of "treat as USB".....what's the problem with burning MP3 to a CD? I used Windows Media Player to burn the files and have done so for years with no problems.....this is the first time the files couldn't be read (that I'm aware of)....still confused and much obliged for any help
thanks
mark

the main problem is that mp3 is a lossy codec, information has already been degraded from the original WAV quality files, CD's are capable of higher quality lossless audio e.g. WAV, you will get lower audio quality burning mp3 to CD than you ever would burning a 1644 WAV to CD, that's the only way I can explain it, if you can't hear this, try testing it out. Also you want to be using CD-R discs not CD-RW, this might solve your problem.

CD-RW aren't read by very many consumer CD players. Use a CD-R instead.

This is it. I'm quite surprised, however, that the car plays the CD fine and not the computer. I'd imagine it would be the other way around, but whatever. Use CD-R. They cost less, too. :)

WOW!!!..every day is like a brand new world for me....OK CD-R it is then...glad I haven't sent many out so far....can consumer CD players/car stereos and the like read WAV files...as you know,Cubase has several file types to export and choosing the best one is just as easy as choosing the worst one....many thanks
mark

can consumer CD players/car stereos and the like read WAV files

WAV files at 16 bit, 44.1 are the standard for producing audio CDs. So yes, that's what consumer CDs will play . . . so long as it is an audio CD and not a data CD

Back