Move towards Mixing ITB and interesting RR vlog

Nola

this vlog by grahamn is interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrfmifgCXQ

andrew sheps is now only mixing itb and recently used cheap, closed back $100 headphones as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zc1dJg3Uzs&feature=youtu.be&t=34m37s

Andrew Scheps recently declared he is now mixing 100% ITB - Avid Pro Audio Community

I thought this was all interesting b/c it's how i've mixed forever and people (not on the forum really) keep saying i need expensive monitors and room treatment. but i kept saying "i know these headphones well and my room is awful, so i think this is better."

i wonder if sentiment toward headphones or itb will shift if more mix engineers vouch for it. what do you think?

Yes - the general public believe whatever these pros tell them.
They are eager for the secret knowledge.

I think whatever makes your mixes work is the way to go. :)

I'll just let the old monitor/treated room conversation begin now....

The recording revolution vid sure smacks of a KRK advert. :D

I didn't get that myself. Though I really want to know where he got that horrible shirt. lol

The guy has really good points though. Even when mixing with monitors in a well treated room (I don't bother doing that with my KRK G2 8's anymore) you need to listen on another set of monitors or headphones, or even PC speakers. I do that with the KRK's, SONY MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD280, and a pair of Phillips SPA7210/17 computer speakers. I actually finalize my vocal level mostly with the computer speakers. Oh yeah, and the stereo in my work van.

I learned that my best translating monitors were the ones I initially used the least as I thought the low end was unclear. Proper sub placement cured that issue and now they are may go-to monitors.

Taking ear breaks is a total necessity.

I actually finalize my vocal level mostly with the computer speakers.

cool, i do that, too. i notice in my headphones the vocal always sounds lower than on the pc speakers. i guess it's b/c the bass response is so bad on the pc. i try to find a good level on pc since a lot of people listen there.

i mostly mix in headphones, then do the vocal on pc, then a/b on both. if that sounds good i take it to my car and my home theater area.

he is definitely right about needing more breaks on headphones. i worry about my ears long-term.

cool, i do that, too. i notice in my headphones the vocal always sounds lower than on the pc speakers. i guess it's b/c the bass response is so bad on the pc. i try to find a good level on pc since a lot of people listen there.

i mostly mix in headphones, then do the vocal on pc, then a/b on both. if that sounds good i take it to my car and my home theater area.

he is definitely right about needing more breaks on headphones. i worry about my ears long-term.

Breaks from headphones or speakers are needed. There is truth to the ears/brain adapting to what it is hearing. Not to mention I personally feel like I am stuck in a vacuum after an hour of having headphones on.

I have also found that after 6 hours or so in a recording session, I don't trust my ears to make a critical decision in regards to a mix. So many ask me to send a rough mix of the session home with them. I say 'not until morning'.

On a tangent note, ever see those visual things that confuse your eyesight and how your brain compensates? The same happens with your ears.

Back