More vocal questions?

djjonblade

Ok I plan on recording vocals or actually voice clips/catch phrases and I wanted to know if I needed a really dedicated mic for this? Can I get away with a cheapy? and without a vocal booth yet how do I cut out static or other noise in the recording process.

If you're planning on recording voice or vocals, I would recommend some kind of large diaphram Mic, Although the cheaper mikes will work .As far as static, there should'nt be any. And as far as noise,any noise quieter than the vocal you can simply apply a noise gate to the vocal, setting the threshold above the noise you want to eliminate, only allowing the vocal to come through.If the noise is too loud, you may hear it during the vocal.But you wont hear anything between vocals because of the gATE.Really the best way is to record when there isnt any noise.

Bill

I agree with Bill about starting out with a quiet area. Although, I've recorded with mics in the same room where I accidently left a TV on at low volume. I just noise gated it and it's quiet enough now to use. For what it sounds like you want to do djjon, if you have a decently quiet area then you don't necessarily have to build any kind of booth to record vocals, or have really expensive mics. My dining room and SM57s work fine on a quiet afternoon.

ok guys, what if.... I wanted to seriously record vocals, would some sort of isolation booth be required or at least optimum? peace

Back