Moog Opus 3 (1980ish): What should I pay?

Moog Opus 3 in excellent condition. [see OVERVIEW here]

Never gigged. Home studio only.

Used very little.

With original manuals.

What's a fair price? I can't find any for sale online for price comparisons...

Thanks

I still have mine I bought new around 1980. Last time I looked they were going for $500.00 to $600.00 in good condition, and maybe $700.00 to $900.00 in excellent condition with manual and original sustain pedal. If you're looking at eBaying it prices fluctuate wildly, so its anyone's guess.

From what I have read, condition determines huge swing. From what I found, $1500 for one just out of the repair shop, everything working, wood refinished, to $500 needing some work.
Thanks, David. This one hasn't been to a repair shop; nothing seems to be wrong with it. I wonder what price that would command.

Everything appears to work as it should, but the pitch wheel has a particularly heavy detent (physical clunk) at its zero position. Anybody know if that's how they originally felt?

Thanks, David. This one hasn't been to a repair shop; nothing seems to be wrong with it. I wonder what price that would command.

Everything appears to work as it should, but the pitch wheel has a particularly heavy detent (physical clunk) at its zero position. Anybody know if that's how they originally felt?

Can't speak to it, but I have a Roland PC-200 (circa 89) keyboard controller and the pitch wheel center is very much "centered", but it is smooth going up and down (you can feel it though), so that might be the norm for back then to make sure it stays centered. As long as it moves without a problem.

I have never heard one, but I assume you are going for the sound. When going for a sound, price is pretty hard to determine. I would think between 600-1000 in good condition would be fair price. Anything less than that would probably be a bargain.

Back