Mono/stereo problem

timtimtim

I am using Cubase LE with the E-MU 0404 sound system. I upgraded my computer from XP to Windows 7 and the replayed sound became very distorted, so I updated the driver for the E-MU sound system. This cured the distortion, but now no sound will record in Cubase. In Cubase VST Inputs it shows PCI Card S/PDIF In L going to IN 1, and PCI Card S/PDIF In R going to IN 2, which is as it should be.

If in Patchmix I change it from Digital Default to Product Default or Default Multitrack or Mono-Stereo or other settings, the VST Inputs in Cubase change to PCI Card S/PDIF L1 to IN 1 and PCI Card S/PDIF L2 to IN 2, in other words L input goes to both L and R record channels, which means only L input is recorded, R is missing.

To summarize: with Patchmix set to Digital Default, Cubase VST Inputs shows both L and R inputs, but nothing records. With Patchmix set to Product Default or Default Multitrack, etc, Cubase VST Inputs shows only L input, and music records in mono L only.

What is going on?

You need to set up mono inputs and assign one to the left and the other to the right.

Then use mono tracks fof recording.

How do I do that? Do I do it in Devices>VST Inputs? If so how?
Yes. Right click in the window with the inputs. It will give you a menu that says 'add buss'. When you click on it, it will give you the choice of a mono or stereo buss. Choose mono. You will need two, one for the left one for the right.

I'm assuming it is set up like Nuendo, if what I told you doesn't work, RTFM.

Hey Tim
There's a sticky @ the top of the steinberg page with diagrams on how to set up LE
Just make sure you select the emu 0404 in asio! :)

When I right click the window I don't get a menu that says Add Bus.

I've reads that sticky. Where I go wrong is in the setting up inputs part. He says "Drag the bottom of the window down to reveal all of your sound card inputs. Use the Active buttons to activate/disable each input." My problem is I have 4 sections in the window: in the top section is PCI Card In L1 and PCI Card In L2, in the next section is PCI Card In R1 and PCI Card In R2, the 3rd section is PCI Card S/PDIF In L and PCI Card S/PDIF In R, and the 4th section is Aux 1L and Aux 1R.

So the problem is if I activate the top section it only contains L1 and L2 so L records on both channels,
or if I activate the 2nd section it only contains R1 and R2 so only R records.

What I need is the top section to contain L1 and R1.

Last edited:
Do you have anything plugged into the SPDIF Inputs??? That's not a very common thing.

Also, post up some screenshots so we know what you're talking about.

Why is this so hard for so many?

I am tired.

Select your ASIO device in Cubase. Devices>Device Setup...VST Audio System. After that is selected, Devices>VST Connections. Create input bus for input/output for that ASIO device you selected. Mono input bus for a mono input track. Select one of the inputs from your selected interface. Then select the input bus you created from the Inspector window for each (MONO) track you want to record from whatever input bus you created. The key is 'MONO' track or bus. If you create a stereo bus and select it for a MONO track, or try to use a mono bus for a stereo track, things do not work right.

It not that hard to figure out if you take a minute to read what you need to do.

Screenshots would be a great thing for you to post at this point, because your things are not making sense.

Not trying to be condescending, in fact I am really trying to help. It just shouldn't be so difficult to get things working in Cubase once you understand what is needed in setup.

Time to eat yummy Chinese food delivery. :)

Here is a screenshot of my VST Inputs panel in Cubase LE. As you see it hasn't a button for both L and R inputs unless you use AUX or S/PDIF (whatever that is)

VST Inputs.png

Attachments

• VST Inputs.png
    VST Inputs.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
WOW, that is actually Cubase 'LE'. I have not even seen that before. Typically we refer to LE as being LE4 or higher. That is quite an old software.

This looks a bit foreign to me yet still kinda familiar. Same basic stuff but different. Do you have an 'Inspector Window' that you can open on the left side of your 'Project Window'?

Man, I could send you a AI6 disk, but not sure if that is even legal.

Sorry to jack your thread but...

Hey Guillermo, is that OK to share a AI or LE version disk to someone? Is that considered piracy if a user of the software did not procure it from a legitimate purchase of interface that included it? I am not about to give someone something that is not legal.

Is there a way to download a LE version of Cubase now without a dongle purchase because he is interested in Cubase?

Just asking as I really do not know how that works.

I don't have an inspector window. HERE IS A BIGGER PICTURE OF MY VST INPUTS PANEL. ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN GET L AND R IN THE SAME BOX?

VST Inputs.png

I don't have an inspector window. HERE IS A BIGGER PICTURE OF MY VST INPUTS PANEL. ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN GET L AND R IN THE SAME BOX?

How do you select an input bus for each track in Cubase LE? I am not sure how I can help without knowing the software. Can you post a screenshot of your project window?

Please help GN! :)

project window.pngmixer.png

Here are screenshots of my project window and the mixer. As you see in my mixer when you pull down the input pop-up for the first channel strip, the only thing listed is IN1 + IN2. In the Cubase manual it shows IN1 L IN1 R IN2 L IN2 R IN3 L etc.

Back