Mixing Vocals Cubase 7 & Waves

raychaun55

I use to have Cubase 5, And some artist that i was recording stole my macbook, so I'm back to square one. And i was using the same Presets for a while, so i had my vocals set in a nice way. i could mix from what i already had... Now I'm back to square one .:/

So, i Use a Eq then Compressing, Then eq again, Mainly with REQ6.. I had Supertap 2 set, and CLA Vocals Mono/Stereo. I mix rap an pop Vocals, and i wanted to know if anyone had experience with waves that could point me to a better FX chain, one with Clear Vocals, Full sounding. More of a full Presence sounding. like a J.cole clarity, or Drake.

im kinda new at asking questions, so if i need to be more Specific with my questions Please let me know, i just want a good Fx chain to start with.

There's no such thing as a "better FX chain." Listen to the audio and figure out what needs done to it.

Think of it this way (unlikely situation, but an extreme example might help). Say I worked in Nashville at Blackbird or something like that. I'm likely using a multi-thousand dollar microphone coupled with an expensive preamp, and the performer is likely in a well treated room. Probably minimal processing required on something like that, especially if the performer (and this part is important) is practiced and talented.

On the other hand, there could be some guy who's recording in a perfectly cubic basement made of cement, and he's recording vocals with an Audix D6 at 2 feet away from the microphone, and he's using an XLR to USB cable to record.

Obviously, if the guy in his basement used the same chain as the professional in the first example, it's not going to sound good. It's also likely he'll blame people for lying to him about how the pros process their tracks because his doesn't sound the same because he used a couple plug-in EQs and compressors to emulate what they were doing with Pultecs and 1176s.

Again, extreme example, but my point is, you haven't given us your environment, your microphone, an interface... Really ANYTHING to go off of other than your DAW is Cubase and you have a couple of Waves plug-ins. So we have no idea how to make your recordings sound better, because we have no clue what you're using.

I mean, if you're looking for a good chain, the only thing I usually ever use on Pop or Rap vocals to make them sound good (provided the performer is good) is some EQ and compression. My chain 80% of the time for vocals is literally a FabFilter Pro-Q with a CLA Blueface 1176 after it. That's it.

So if you're looking for a specific chain to make your stuff sound good, my answer is EQ and compression. What the settings are going to be on those are yours to decide based on the given material.

I use to have Cubase 5, And some artist that i was recording stole my macbook, so I'm back to square one. And i was using the same Presets for a while, so i had my vocals set in a nice way. i could mix from what i already had... Now I'm back to square one .:/

So, i Use a Eq then Compressing, Then eq again, Mainly with REQ6.. I had Supertap 2 set, and CLA Vocals Mono/Stereo. I mix rap an pop Vocals, and i wanted to know if anyone had experience with waves that could point me to a better FX chain, one with Clear Vocals, Full sounding. More of a full Presence sounding. like a J.cole clarity, or Drake.

im kinda new at asking questions, so if i need to be more Specific with my questions Please let me know, i just want a good Fx chain to start with.

Post it in the mp3 mix subforum and get some feedback about your mix.

Also, have someone mix it in the mix it forum so you can see how others do it.

There's no such thing as a "better FX chain." Listen to the audio and figure out what needs done to it.

Think of it this way (unlikely situation, but an extreme example might help). Say I worked in Nashville at Blackbird or something like that. I'm likely using a multi-thousand dollar microphone coupled with an expensive preamp, and the performer is likely in a well treated room. Probably minimal processing required on something like that, especially if the performer (and this part is important) is practiced and talented.

On the other hand, there could be some guy who's recording in a perfectly cubic basement made of cement, and he's recording vocals with an Audix D6 at 2 feet away from the microphone, and he's using an XLR to USB cable to record.

Obviously, if the guy in his basement used the same chain as the professional in the first example, it's not going to sound good. It's also likely he'll blame people for lying to him about how the pros process their tracks because his doesn't sound the same because he used a couple plug-in EQs and compressors to emulate what they were doing with Pultecs and 1176s.

Again, extreme example, but my point is, you haven't given us your environment, your microphone, an interface... Really ANYTHING to go off of other than your DAW is Cubase and you have a couple of Waves plug-ins. So we have no idea how to make your recordings sound better, because we have no clue what you're using.

I mean, if you're looking for a good chain, the only thing I usually ever use on Pop or Rap vocals to make them sound good (provided the performer is good) is some EQ and compression. My chain 80% of the time for vocals is literally a FabFilter Pro-Q with a CLA Blueface 1176 after it. That's it.

So if you're looking for a specific chain to make your stuff sound good, my answer is EQ and compression. What the settings are going to be on those are yours to decide based on the given material.

Plus (a bunch of number thingy's) to this^^^

Back