Mixing Question

asimmd

I am using a pre recorded backing track and the drums/bass guitar are a real problem.

The drums sound distant and the bass guitar is muddy.

The drums definitely need separation the cymbals need brightening up
and the bass guitar needs sorting.

Is it possible to do all this to a track but not significantly increase its volume?

If so what plugins would I need.

I was considering a Multiband Compressor and a Parametric EQ but being new to this
some guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alan

You mean the backing track is already poorly mixed? If the drums need perking up, but the bass is already dull, then you are stuck, because even trying to fix one will make the other worse. Maybe a compressor might be able to do something, but frankly, if the track is bad, it's bad, and repairs are fixing the bad product. Is this a commercial track, or one you've done yourself.

If you want - let us hear a clip and we might be able to suggest something that will work for it, or at worst tell you you are chasing an impossibility.
R

Thanks Rob

I will be happy if I can just give the cymbals a bit more zing and bring the drums forward in the mix.
The track is ok except for this and it is a commercial track in that I paid for it but it was done by a now
disbanded band.

Alan

Ok I have sorted it.
I used a PSP Audioware Noble Q EX and used the Drum Preset 3 in order to liven things up.

I also have Nomad Factory plugins that will also work.

Alan

Back