Mixing Down From 424

wyastarr

When I mix down from my 424 to a two track cassette, there's a huge loss in audio quality. The hiss goes up, the level goes down. When I monitor the four tracks coming out of the Tascam, they sound really good, but the mixed-down two track sounds bad.

Can anyone offer advice. It's not a great mixdown deck, but when I record directly from a CD or the radio it's 100% better than from the 424.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Clark

Be sure you have the dbx noise reduction "on" during both recording and mixdown with the 424.
Also, make sure you are recording as hot a signal as possible without distorting when recording on the 2-track deck. I've got a similar setup and have had no problems with signal loss or hiss so this is just my 2 cents worth...good luck!

I'm doing both--dbx and a hot signal.

One thing I'd like to know is how much hiss is generated when the audio cables are really, very, inexcusably close to the power cables?

Because of the small room I'm in, and because I wasn't thinking, there's a power strip with a bunch of powercords right along side the cables that run out from my 424 to the cassette deck. I plan on changing this set-up this weekend, hopefully that'll help.

I came very close to popping for a mac and heading down the digital road last week, but when I finally did due dilligence and added up everything I'd need (to do it rather nicely), the price tag was a little steep. So my goal is to bide my time for a few months and get better with the 4-tracker. The only part of it that frustrates me is that when I mix down I'm losing tons of fidelity.

Thanks for any ideas,
Clark

WYASTARR,

I'm a true believer of analog being the superior format.

HOWEVER, I was amazed how n-tracks sounded with my Sound Blaster 16.

It was far, far better then the 424 & that was when I was using it as the mixer
for the CPU.

CASSETTE SUCKS !!!

If you are going to stay in the realm of the low price, low quality multi-track
equipment, consider your computer just the way it is.

Good Luck Bro

Smellyfuzz

Ps.

If you are looking to really move up on quality & still would like to stay on a budget...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1222151501

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1221437749

Smellyfuzz

Back