mixes are very quiet

bassmonkey144

poor college student
I've been trying to figure this out for weeks, but whenever I have a final mixdown of something, it's too quiet compared to a normal audio CD. i know the whole debate about overcompressing/limiting the track vs leaving dynamics in (which i much prefer), but I just want my tracks to be at the same level as anything you would stick in a cd player without sacrificing dynamics. is there something I'm missing in Sonar?

I've been trying to figure this out for weeks, but whenever I have a final mixdown of something, it's too quiet compared to a normal audio CD. i know the whole debate about overcompressing/limiting the track vs leaving dynamics in (which i much prefer), but I just want my tracks to be at the same level as anything you would stick in a cd player without sacrificing dynamics. is there something I'm missing in Sonar?

can up upload so I can try and see if there is somthing wrong that is causes you from getting loudness

.. i know the whole debate about overcompressing/limiting the track vs leaving dynamics in (which i much prefer), but I just want my tracks to be at the same level as anything you would stick in a cd player without sacrificing dynamics. is there something I'm missing in Sonar?
:rolleyes:;):) Really? What's a "normal cd- with dynamics?
'With out sacrificing dynamics is what it is (or would be) and is at the opposite end of the spectrum prior to being crushed for volume.

'Smashtering-- the art of 'damage control'.

:rolleyes:;):) Really? What's a "normal cd- with dynamics?
'With out sacrificing dynamics is what it is (or would be) and is at the opposite end of the spectrum prior to being crushed for volume.

'Smashtering-- the art of 'damage control'.

could you maybe explain that a little clearer? i'm a bit confused by what you mean. do you mean that all songs, before they are mastered, are super quiet and at the 'opposite end of the spectrum?'

could you maybe explain that a little clearer? i'm a bit confused by what you mean. do you mean that all songs, before they are mastered, are super quiet and at the 'opposite end of the spectrum?'
Well yes, exactly if you want to look at it in a backwards sort of way.
A 'raw recording or mix (anything even remotely like live music) you could say is "quiet", but only in the context of saying cd's, after about 2000' or so, smashed for loud- are now the new normal volume?

That's the pisser of it. All this extra effort and fretting over how not to sound 'abnormal', dealing with that compromise, limiting our sonic options in a huge way, and.. generally sounding the worse for it..
Nice ah? :rolleyes:

Back